Chapter 6 - Happy Birthday

Four Years Later

"Eddy! Are you ready yet? Your father is going to ring us any minute."

The past four years have been a whirlwind. Not long after my first date with Dimitri, he got an assignment in another Providence. Eddy has been house hopping ever since. Caladean was the first to take her in but that ended after a few months when Caladean's husband returned and he couldn't take having a child in the household. Raya and Benny took Eddy in shortly after they were married.

Their wedding was beautiful, held in a small clearing not far from the ground level staircase. It had more flowers than I'd seen in years. They were an array of colors and sizes. The wedding itself looked like that of a fairytale.

Jessie had asked me out a few times as we finished up our final year in school. We'd even gone out once or twice but it never went further than that. Dimitri had managed to come back just a week before we graduated and was there for the ceremony.

Within a year after graduation, Raya was pregnant and they were being moved to another Escaped city in another Providence. Jessie had yet to give up on me and Dimitri had taken another assignment in the west.

Eddy was living with me since then. My tiny apartment suited the two of us. The seven year old gave me hell sometimes. Much like today.

"Your father is going to call and you aren't ready. He only calls once a week and I'm going to have to tell him-"

"I know Wyn." Eddy came out of her room, tugging on her marsh mellow jacket. The port started ringing and Eddy rushed over to answer it.

"Daddy!"

"Hey angel."

"Guess what." I walked over to the port, tugging my jacket on.

"What's that angel? Hey Gwyn." Dimitri smiled. He looked rougher than usual. His beard was growing and his hair was unkempt. I returned his smile and started looking for my shoes.

"Daddy we're going for a snow day!"

"And you little monster will be going nowhere if you don't finish getting ready." I picked her from the chair she stood on and placed her on the floor. Eddy was small for a girl so close to turning eight. She stomped her feet but left to find her boots.

"So birthday girl, how are you?"

"Oh you remembered." I looked away to hide the blush that creeped up my cheeks. Today was my twentieth birthday.

"Is somebody blushing?" He teased at me.

"Shush." My cheeks turned an even brighter red.

"Ew." Eddy was standing behind me with a face that said 'You two are nasty' . I left them to talk and started searching for Eddy's gloves, she always forgot them and then complained how her fingers were cold.

-

"Okay bye Daddy."

"Bye angel. Let me talk to Gwyn."

"WYN!"

"I'm right here, no need to yell." Ushering Eddy into the living room, I turned back to the port. "What's up?"

"You need to be careful, more cautious. There's some rumors here in the city going around about the central government. Something about raids and experiments. Kids have gone missing lately and I'm scared Fuga will attacked next."

"What." The shock was emanate on my face.

"It's just a rumor but still, be careful okay? And don't tell Eddy either, you know how she gets."