Chapter Three: Iced Coffee

"Hey, can you pull over real quick?" I asked Brent as we drove to practice.

"We're in the middle of the freeway, Lis," he sighed. "No, I can't pull over."

"Then the next exit, at least?" I pleaded.

"Why do you need me to pull over?" he queried.

"I want a cup of coffee," I responded.

"Did you not just have one before you got in the car?" He rolled his eyes.

"Not for me," I replied.

Brent began to smirk. "Oh, I see what this is. You're trying to woo your lady, huh?"

"She's not my lady," I huffed. "I barely know her. I'm just making it up to her."

"You know, most people just end it on a simple apology," he said. "They don't normally go out of their way to get things for the other person."

"Do I look like most people?" I questioned. "Besides, I want to do something nice for her since I almost broke her ribcage."

"The next Starbucks is a few miles past the stadium. We'd have to make a U-turn to go back and you know I hate those," he responded.

"It's not my fault you're a mediocre driver," I huffed.

He gasped. "Well, I was going to drive you there, but now you've insulted my superb driving. The audacity!"

"Don't be so dramatic, Brent," I chuckled.

He didn't respond.

"Okay, how about this," I sighed. "If you drive me to Starbucks, I'll get you a cake pop. Does that sound good?"

He glared at me, then sighed. "Can you get the birthday cake one? That's my favorite."

"Of course I can." I winked.

Upon incentive, Brent drove a few miles further than usual to get me to the nearest Starbucks. I hurried inside, knowing that if I took too long, we'd be late for practice. There were only a few people in front of me in line, which gave me just enough time to think about what I should order for Rosé.

Fuck.

I had no idea what she liked and the Starbucks menu board intimidated me. I was boring and got an americano every time I came here, but Rosé? She didn't seem like the americano type. I thought back to what Maisy said. Rosé had an iced coffee that smelled like caramel. Caramel, caramel, caramel... I scanned the menu looking for the drink she was referring to. Why the hell were there so many caramel drinks at Starbucks? Who needs that many?

"Hi, what can I get for you?"

"Umm..." I looked at the menu board intensely. "A grande iced caramel macchiato and a birthday cake pop."

I took a deep breath as I waited for the barista to make the drink. Questions raced through my head. Did I get the one she liked? Should I add more sugar? Or maybe it already had too much sugar in it. Focus, Lisa.

As I walked back to Brent's car, I held the drink in my hand tightly. It gave off somewhat of a golden brown color and smelled heavenly. No wonder she always got this flavor. I hopped into my seat and handed Brent his cake pop, which he proceeded to eat while driving.

I held the macchiato the entire way back to the stadium. For some reason, I was feeling quite jittery about it. But I shouldn't have been. I was only giving Rosé coffee, not a million-dollar mansion. Now that I think about it, she probably would've preferred the latter.

Practice went much more smoothly than I intended. We went over a few drills and plays to pass the time. Coach said that they sharpened not only our ability but our minds as well. But during the entire practice, my mind drifted elsewhere.

More specifically to one cheerleader.

The girls weren't in their normal skimpy uniforms and instead wore comfortable clothing as they practiced their routine. Rosé had her blonde hair pulled back in a high ponytail and a pink sports bra with black leggings. Occasionally, she'd catch me staring, to which I'd quickly look away. First I run her over and now I'm staring at her? She must've thought I was such a creep.

"Okay, that's all for today," Coach said. "I want you guys to work on your form next time we meet."

"Yes, Coach," we said in unison.

I looked over and noticed that the cheerleaders were also packing up their things. Maisy seemed to notice my looks and walked over to me.

"Did you get her something?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Should I give it to her now?"

"Well, she's about to leave, so I think it's now or never," she said.

I took a deep breath as Maisy patted me on the shoulder. Carefully, I grabbed the coffee from the fridge, hoping it was still made the way she liked it. I made my way over to the other side of the field, going over what I should say in my head. Rosé was standing by the sidelines, fixing her hair and tying her shoelaces.

You got this, Lisa.

"Rosé!" I called.

Her head perked up and she turned to face me. "Lisa. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Here." I held the drink out to her. "I got this for you."

"Me?" She smiled seeing the drink. "Caramel, my favorite! How'd you know?"

"Lucky guess." I shrugged. "I'm really sorry about yesterday and all and-"

"It's okay. I told you not to worry about it. Besides, I'm not injured and neither are you," she responded.

"I guess you're right," I said.

"I usually am." She smirked. "Hey, thanks for the coffee. It's sweeter than you are."

"Is it too sweet?" My eyes widened. "I'm sorry, I should've added less sweetener. I didn't mean to-"

"Lisa," she giggled as she gripped my shoulder. "It's perfect. Thank you."

Rosé bid me farewell as she walked over to the other cheerleaders. She took a few sips of her drink as she walked and turned around to give me a quick smile and wave. As I walked off the field, a part of me felt truly complete. It was as if I had accomplished a great feat. Granted, it was only giving Rosé a coffee, but it still made my heart feel happy. She made my heart feel happy.