Chapter Eleven: Family

"Nice catch, Parker!"

The young girl raced to the "end zone" we'd created in our backyard. She was quick, far faster than I imagined. She jumped up and down excitedly as I ran over to congratulate her.

"Was that good?" Parker asked, her eyes aglow.

I nodded. "Yes, it was perfect. You're getting really good at catching those."

"I had a great teacher," she commented. "You think they'll let me join the team this year?"

I placed a hand on her shoulder. "They'd be stupid not to."

"Mom!" I turned to see a small boy come down the steps towards us. "Mommy wants to see you. She said it's..." he whispered the last part. "...top secret."

I chuckled. "Thank you, Sage. Can I trust you two to play nicely with each other while I'm gone?"

Sage nodded quickly, but Parker only smirked. "Can't make any promises."

"That's my girl," I muttered.

I walked back inside our house, sneaking a few looks back at the kids as I walked. They were tossing the football back and forth and giggling all the while. Looking at them always made me smile. I loved them and I was proud of them no matter what.

I'd been retired from the NFL for only a few years. Tampa Bay had gone to the Super Bowl that year and we went undefeated the entire time. As much as I loved playing for the NFL, I also wanted to focus on my family and I knew fame would only hurt them.

Rosé and I were married by my 6th year in the NFL. I remembered that day like it was only yesterday. Brent was my best man, Maisy was the maid of honor, and Rosé was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. It was truly the happiest day of my life.

After a few years, we decided to start a family. Rosé specifically wanted to adopt. She said she wanted to give the kids there a life she never had. We adopted Parker and Sage when they were only three. The foster care workers told us that they were inseparable since they met, so we decided to take both of them in. They were the sweetest kids alive.

Parker was a lot like me in many ways. She was a bit of a tomboy and liked sports quite a lot. From the minute she saw a football, I knew she'd make an amazing football player. I trained her for years and helped her with her catches and passes and throws. Her confidence knew no bounds and she always worked hard when it came to training. She was one of the more outgoing kids in her class, which I was grateful for.

Sage was more like Rosé. He was shy and reserved but had the kindest heart. He always wanted to make others around him happy. In comparison to Parker, he was less spontaneous and headstrong. He was one of the smartest kids in his grade and was very calculative. However, some of the kids in his class picked on him either for being "nerdy" or "too feminine". He tried not to show it, but I knew it hurt him. Luckily, Parker stood up for him whenever anyone was calling him names.

Instead of picking fights with each other, Parker and Sage always supported each other. They worked together on things, hung out together, and were there for each other when they needed it most. I always loved that about them.

"There you are!"

Rosé hurried down the steps and rushed over to me, an enthusiastic smile splayed across her lips. Rosé hadn't aged a day. She still looked as gorgeous as she did the day we met. Her hair still stayed beautifully curled as it cascaded down her back. Her smile could still brighten my day, no matter how bad. And her eyes were still the shimmering chocolate brown that I could fall into.