Chapter 39: Ardele

I am in the laboratory doing experiments of pixie dust when Coralie comes frantically into my room, her face streaked with tears. Immediately drying my hands, I rush over to her.

"Coralie! What happened?"

"The town! The town square has been destroyed! Th-there's been a raid and a... mass massacre."

Dread fills my body, making me black out for a second. Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no.

I sprint out of the laboratory with Coralie hot on my heels. The doors of lab shut sloppily behind us. Clairemont is likely the instigator of the chaos. The kingdom was obviously not happy with the news. Panic running through my veins, I search through the halls. Where is Fallon?

Fallon is walking out his study with Nikolai standing close behind. Fallon looks like he aged three time over since the last day. His normally slicked back here is rumpled and unkept, looking like he continuously ran his fingers through his hair.

"Your highness! Are you going to the town?" I ask.

Fallon rolls his shoulder. "Yes. The medic team is there now, and the survivors need some morale support."

I need to get to town to check on Nora. I pray to the Heavens that she is breathing. He sees the question in my eyes, and nods. 

Coralie and I chase after the long strides of the men, and Nikolai leads us to the royal carriage. The carriage is armored and holds Arcana's crest. Silently getting in behind the royals, I sit between them, wringing my hands together. Nikolai sits across from us.

The footmen open the doors for us, and I gasp when I take in the images before me. So many bodies and bodies on the ground unmoving. The stench of death claws at us, and my heart hurts when I see the torn flesh of young children hanging by a thread. Stores are destroyed, windows shattered, walls broken apart.

People in white long coats wander through the streets, helping the injured. Survivors start weeping when we approach them. Coralie gives many hugs and encouraging words, while Fallon, Nikolai, and I hang back. 

I pass out bottles of water and food to the survivors, with them thanking me over and over again. Shaking my head, I tell them that I am not worthy for their gratitude. They are so strong to still be living and sane. I could not compare to them. And they all started weeping more.

I tap Fallon's back, and he turns to me.

"I need to go search for someone."

He unpins a royal badge from his button up and pins it to my dress.

Running off, I carry on passing off supplies to the living people sitting on the streets. I pass through familiar roads, and I stop short when I spot Nora's dress shop. The shop is completely gone, only having a few bricks standing. Everything is gone.

Where is she? Where in the world is she? I sprint through the streets and a choked cry tears through my throat. A medic is currently inspecting her body, her body bent unnaturally over a crate, and I can tell she is not breathing. She... she cannot.

The heavy skirts of my dress falls at her feet, and gently press my hand to her nose. No air. The medic bows when she sees the royal pin, and sadly pats my shoulder, before turning away to inspect another.

Her pretty eyes are still open, blank, looking up into the sunny skies I know she would have loved. I close her eyes and press a gentle kiss to her cool forehead. Her lashes still have tears in them.

"I am so sorry, Nora. May God bless your soul in Heaven."

Getting up to my feet, I force myself to turn away. I really underestimated how much this would hurt. I never got to say goodbye. Life blesses, and it takes away. Tears are gathering in my eyes, and I quickly wipe them away angrily before they can fall.

When no one accepted me, she did. When everyone turned me away, she did not. The world is so unfair, sometimes. The people who give life and joy to this world always have a short life it seems.

A hard breath leaves me, and I want to crumble. But I will not. Nora would be upset if she saw me in that state. I take a step, and another, until I am further and further away from her body, slowly walking closer to my fate.

I take my time to trek my way back to Coralie and them. Hatred eats at me, but I keep an expressionless face. My hands fists so tightly, they start to lose color. Nikolai leads us all back to carriage, and with a parting wave to the kingdom's people, the carriage starts down the road. I look out the window, leaning my head on the carriage walls. Tears are threatening fall, but I keep them in.

We get out the carriage, and we all split off back inside. Nikolai returned to his duties, and Coralie had to attend her classes with her mentor. Fallon had a meeting, leaving me alone. Sorrow weighed down my actions, and I find myself in the library. I lay down on a luxurious midnight colored lounge seat, and I bring my hand to cover the light shining into my eyes.

In the darkness, I let out a shuddering breath. Nora deserved to live a much longer life, bringing comfort and happiness to others around her. It is not fair for her to leave this earth before I do. It is simply unfair. Some time must have passed as a shadow loomed above me, and I flop my arm to the side. Fallon is standing there, looking twice as tall as he usually does at my angle. His brows are drawn together, and he sits down beside me.

"Are you ill?"

I choke, coughing lightly behind my hand. "No."

"Are you sure?"

Bringing my hand to block out the sunlight directly in my face, I sigh. "Yes. Unless grief is an illness."

"It can be to people for who cannot accept it."