Chapter 33: Ardele

The rest of the men come back for searching the palace. They disperse when they reach the ballroom at different times, trying to blend in. For some reason, I cannot find the crown prince.

I spin around the ballroom many times with different men, still scanning the area for him. I suddenly collide into a hard body when I go to one of the end tables to drop off my empty chalice. The man catches the metal cup before it drops onto the floor.

Sliding my gaze from the black collared shirt and vest, I meet the face of the familiar prince, and my mouth quirks up. He has cut his hair. Usually he wore it longer, but now his hair is cut short on the sides with it longer on the top. It makes him look even more regal than he already does.

"Are you looking for someone?" he grunts.

"Nope, I found him."

I pause to let him realize it is himself. When he does, his eyes takes an arrogant light. I have never met a more haughty man in my life.

"I see."

Rolling my eyes, I lean in close to whisper. "Where were you all? You were a half hour late. I was afraid someone got caught."

The crown prince takes a bit to answer, and I follow him to the table where he sets down my glass. Suddenly he spins me to the rhythm of the song, and my breath catches. My gold ballgown flutters around us and compliments his all black attire well.

He leans down to whisper in my ear. "We were a bit late because there seems to be more security than I anticipated. However, I have a speculation on where some important information is held."

Tilting my head up to meet his grey eyes, I frown. "Where?"

Swaying to the music, he says, "In every modern library, there is a document room, where the ruler keeps records."

"Why haven't you snuck in yet? I am sure there are other ways to make it inside there than the front entrance."

"The library is littered with guards. They are humans, Lady Ardele. It is much easier if you just came along.

Ah, I see. With magic, I can get the human guards to blank out during that time or even let us in, which is much more simpler than crawling through hidden tunnels.

"When?"

He drops his chin on the top of my head, reminding the embrace we had a couple days ago, making me flush. I need to keep my head on straight. The situation is already embarrassing enough. His hands curl tighter on my waist, and stiffly I lean my head on his shoulder.

"I was thinking when King William gives his obligatory speech, we will leave. All guests will be cooped up in the ballroom, and no one will notice a few people gone."

"Okay. Who do you want to bring along?" I enquire, scanning the area for familiar faces.

"Nathen."

"Just Nathen?"

He pauses. "Who would be useful?"

I lean back on my heels to think. "Clara. She has been useful in gathering information. She is also sharp and thinks quick."

The crown prince tips his chin down, touching the crown of my head.

After gathering Nathen and Clara, we stand relatively close to the entrance of the room, ready to head out. We are waiting for the specific time when King William gives his speech. From what the crown prince said, they usually last for over an hour.

King William of Illea starts his speech, the boys head out the entrance first. A couple minutes later, Clara and I link arms, leaving the ballroom. We meet in the east wing, where the security is low. The crown prince already prepped Clara and Nathen with everything they needed to know. 

The library is on the west side of the palace, which unfortunately for us, is also where the royal wing is. We need to be in and out. If anything goes awry, we need to make sure that we have an alibi back in the ballroom. The four of us make a quick plan, and we head off.

Clara and I giggle arm in arm when we greet the guards in front of the library. There are approximately about ten guards outside, and I be there are some more inside as well. Clara and I are both playing ditzy characters, and Clara is a natural at it.

She goes up in front of one the men, and she smiles shyly.

"I am so sorry. We got lost. Could you show us the way back to the ballroom?"

Before anyone could answer, I place a spell on the human guards, making them lose memory of what just occurred, falling unconscious. The last memory they will have Clara. I had to be in close contact to have control over that amount of minds.

Glad that is over with, I push the doors open, and a tiny blade flies through the crack, nicking my cheek. The iron blade hits a quartz pillar, falling to the floors with a loud clang. I touch the blood trickling down my cheek. I did not sense anything at all.

With a slight pause, I slowly push the door open. And I was right. There are six guards waiting for us. Their beady eyes meet ours, and I start to sweat. The library must have a dampening spell on it because I cannot use my magic at all. It is as if I have used all my magical energy. It is all physical combat now.