Chapter 10: Ardele

The sixth witch has disappeared, and my paranoia has been kicking into high gear. A week ago, it has been reported that the king has fallen ill. The kingdom's people are shaken, and the gloomy expressions on their faces tell me what kind of leader their king is. A compassionate one. 

The creatures residing here must really respect their king. That is not seen in many empires now a days. However, the king's illness has been the catalyst of the mysterious disappearances of the witches in town. The numbers of witches are already low, and for there to be drastic drop in the kingdom is jarring.

I have not seen the king and queen in person, but from their paintings they are beautiful people with a gorgeous family. The royal family here has two children, the crown prince and the princess. Apparently here in Arcana, you do not have to marry to rule. And from the rumors I here from Nora, if crown prince Fallon becomes king, he will rule alone. 

That drove the elite women insane, and I cannot tell if he is being selfish or plainly protecting himself from toxic women. Nevertheless, there seems to be nothing wrong with the family. The king of Arcana rules fairly, and the citizens here love him. But like I said, witches are disappearing after they go into the castle. Not many creatures here shine a light on that fact, but some have vocalized their suspicions. Most brush the little piece of gossip of their shoulders. As should I. If I stay low, I will be fine.

Walking into Dresses for Keeps, I sit on the stool I normally monopolize next to the large window that faces the street. Nora struts in, disturbing my little moment of peace. Her chestnut hair bounces around her, and I tilt my head. Why is she walking like that?

She smiles at me and starts laughing. "I do not understand why these shoes are all the rage."

The corner of my mouth lifts when I see the thick platform heels adorned on her dainty feet. Nora stumbles in my direction, and I get up to meet her halfway to put her out of her misery.

"You need to take those off before you injure yourself."

Nora pouts. "Aw, you are no fun."

Leading her to the stool, I sit her down. "Yes, it is not fun to have a twisted ankle."

"I got them from Dinah down the street. The girl always has the best shoes."

Inspecting the shoes, I make a humming sound. The heels are as tall as my index finger alone. The buckles around the ankle are thick and look uncomfortable. The crushed navy velvet does flatter Nora's skin tone, and the peep toe is pretty. 

But still, the shoes are a hazard to customers in the shop and herself. Taking off the horrendous shoes, I set them on the windowsill. She points to her desk, and I find her everyday shoes under a ton of crushed velvet spilling off of her desk. Unzipping her practical black boots, I slip them on her feet, and she starts to giggle.

"This is giving me Cinderella vibes."

Not looking up, I snicker. "Alright, Cinderella, show me your fairy godmother, because God knows I need her more than you do."

Nora smiles. "Innndeed."

I am grateful that Nora gave me a job to work here. And I remind her most days of that fact. I enjoy her company. And literally only her company. It seems as though only vampires come to the shop. I tolerate most customers but tending to elite vampires makes me want to yank my hair out. Still, I stay. Nora will get upset if I try to leave and I desperately need this job. What a wonderful life this is.