Chapter 1

It was a dark night like any other. The sky lit with millions of twinkling stars, the moon shining ever so brightly and everyone snug in their beds. It came with no warning and no way to prevent it. The only thing you could do was hide. And sometimes that didn't even keep the balls of explosive energy from turning your home to ash and everyone inside to flames.

I woke up to the loud sound of sirens and bombs making contact with the ground. I sat up straight in my bed and looked out the window across from me, seeing bright flashing lights in the distance. The ground shook the things in my room making loud sounds as they rattled. I tore the duvet and sheets from my lap, my feet landing on the cold floor. I bolted toward my bedroom door and threw it open making my way into the hallway, looking frantically for any sign of my mum.

The housekeeper came down the hall, a torch illuminating the path. She ran to me wrapping her arms around me. "Hurry, we must go," she urged. We turned toward the way she came. My mother who was running towards us stopped as a look of relief overtook a look of terror in her eyes and she turned, running towards the door. We followed her outside towards the bomb shelter that had been created for this exact purpose. The three of us huddled in the small room seeking comfort in each others arms and listening to the bombs that kept coming, praying it would all end soon.

After many hours the sound of the bombs faded, and I knew that it must be morning. We stood from our crouched space and took a step toward the door. My mother opened it cautiously, her body tense as anxiety coursed through her veins. Smoke covered the sky and the smell of war made us grimace. The three of us walked back inside the house with a hollow, sinking feeling in our stomachs.

Later that day, there was a knock on the front door. My mother was the one to open it, I right behind her. "Morning ma'am." The gentleman was tall and dressed in his uniform. He stood straight and his face was slightly covered in ash, dirt, and sweat. "Good morning," my mother said. The man looked down at me for a moment before looking back at her. "There has been an evacuation order ma'am. All children are scheduled for the morning train where they will be taken to the countryside, your daughter is expected to be along side them."

My mother nodded in understanding, sadness in her eyes saying a quick thank you. "Good day, ma'am." He began to turn away and walk towards the next house. "Stay safe," I spoke up. He turned back, a smile on his face as he tipped his helmet towards me, "You as well, ma'am." He left after that and went on his way. I looked down at my feet before my eyes wandered to my mother, her eyes were glossy with tears, a pain looming there. "Let's go talk, hm?" I nodded and she closed the door.

Hours later after spending some time with my mum I went to my bedroom. I stood at the door scanning the room, wishing that I didn't have to leave, wishing the war would just dissipate. I made my way to my wardrobe, opening the doors and pulling out my suitcase. I rummaged through my drawers sorting through clothes and throwing the belongings I wanted to take with me on the bed, going back and folding them in my suitcase neatly.

My eyes wandered around my room. I had no idea of where I'd be sent. I looked at all of the furnishings. My family came from old money, leaving my family to want for nothing. Living with such a lifestyle has given me many luxuries, prestigious boarding schools, expensive clothes, and my parent's friend's glamorous parties. Now we won't be able to go to those parties. Can't say that I really mind. They were just to show off and most of the people at those parties are not my friends, only pretend to be to my face, so they could whisper about me later.

I put my suitcase by my door retreating back to my bed and laying on my stomach, chin resting on my arms as I stared at the picture of my family on my dresser. I heard the doorknob turn and I flipped myself over sitting up as my mum walked in the room.