o8. the second task

"I DARE YOU TOO... SNEAK INTO SNAPE'S OFFICE AND PUT A DUNGBOMB IN HIS DESK DRAWER." Ellie hiccuped; she was drunk. Actually, she was beyond drunk - she was absolutely wasted. George was feeling pretty good as well. Angelina and Fred were careful not to get too drunk themselves, so they could still orchestrate this encounter. The dare Ellie had just issued was aimed at Angelina, who pretended to be scared.

"No, I'll get caught!" She gasped, her over expressive hand gestures were not noticed by Ellie. "Freddie, go with me!" She clutched onto his arm, and he returned a devilish grin.

"Of course, m'lady." Fred obliged, "be right back. You all keep the game up."

Even in their drunken state, the silence that followed was awkward. They both opened their mouths to speak but stopped when they seen the other was going to talk.

"Go ahead." George said drunkenly, Ellie nodded.

"Truth or dare?" Ellie said softly.

"Uh, truth."

"Do you fancy Wynonna?"

George was taken back. Of course he didn't. She was a pretty girl, but not Eleanor. He eyed Ellie carefully, feeling as if this was a loaded question. "Er, no. Why?"

Ellie ignored him, "Truth."

"Why are you acting so strange?" George asked for his truth. Ellie scoffed.

"I'm not!" She said defensively, giggling; her breath full of whiskey.

George stared at her intently, his shoulder length red hair ruffled. "Yeah you are."

Ellie stood up, tripping over the arm of the chair. George reached out to catch her but she pushed his hand away. She pulled herself off the ground and looked George dead in the eye. "You have no right to call me a bitch." She said darkly.

"El, I thought we were past this?" George stood up, looking down at Ellie.

"Of course we're not!" She yelled, George shushed her. "Don't shush me. You don't own me." She stumbled around the common room, George following close behind her to make sure she didn't fall.

"Ellie, I-"

"Why don't you go spend the night with your girlfriend?" She said in a child-like mocking voice, taking another swig of whiskey.

George's hands clenched into fists at his side, getting angry. "She's not my girlfriend, Eleanor." He jerked the whiskey bottle from her hand. "You've had enough." The whiskey flowing through his blood was causing it to boil. "And yes I did have a right... because you were being a bitch!"

Ellie was to the point that the whiskey had taken over her judgment; she was saying and doing things she would never do sober. She charged at George, swinging her fists furiously onto his chest, as that was all she could reach. She sobbed as she beat onto his chest, feeling as if she was hitting him as hard as she could; though she wasn't.

"Ellie. Calm down. ELEANOR!" George screamed, attempting to catch Ellie's hands as she swung at him. He was surprised none of their fellow Gryffindors had came downstairs yet. "What is wrong with you?!"

"I hate this, George! I hate this." She sobbed as George finally caught her fists and wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly. They fell to the ground with Ellie in his lap. "I hate this." She repeated.

"Ellie, tell me what's wrong!" He begged, tears overflowing his own eyes.

Ellie didn't know if it was the whiskey, or her feelings that had been building up finally exploding, but she turned to George and kissed him furiously. For the both of them, for the first time in their life, everything felt right. "I love you." She whispered when their lips parted. "And you hate me. I hate that we're fighting. I love you, George."

George was speechless. He was completely taken aback. His feelings were definitely mutual. George didn't know if he wanted to grab her and kiss her or cry tears of joy. Suddenly, Ellie was gone. Humiliation filled her body as she ran up the stairs.

"Ellie, wait!" She was faster than him. She was up the stairs and into her dorm before he could reach her, unable to follow her due to the charm on the door prohibiting those of the opposite sex to enter.

Fred and Angelina, unbeknownst to the fighting couple, had been standing at the door. "I-" George began, shaking his head. Fred and Angelina stood with mouths open wide at the sight that they just witnessed.

"You are so stupid!" Angelina scolded, smacking George on the shoulder. "That was your chance!"

George stared at the stairs, "go get her for me."

"No, this is your problem. You have to fix it." Angelina kissed Fred on the cheek before going to check on her friend.

George didn't sleep all night. Sure, he was a huge flirt but didn't really have any experience outside of that. He didn't know what caused him to lock up when she said those words; but he was beating himself up for it. Her revelation last night was all he ever wanted and he blew it. After tossing and turning all night, he decided he would confess his mutual love to Ellie at breakfast - that is, if she would even talk to him.

George sat with Fred and Lee, they had gotten to the Great Hall fairly early and other students were still filing in. George watched the door closely; watching for any sign of Ellie, but she never came.

Angelina entered the Great Hall and approached Fred and George before taking her usual seat. "Have you seen Ellie this morning?" She asked. George's heart sunk. If Ellie was going to go anywhere, surely she would have told Angelina. Worry flashed over Angelina's face as the twins shook their head.

"I'm sure she's probably okay. Probably just angry with George." Fred shrugged, assuming that Ellie was avoiding George somewhere. George nodded in agreement, but still concerned. George racked his brain for any of the places Ellie could have went: the forest, an illegal trip to Hogsmeade.. maybe she was with Eva preparing for the second task. George shook off his thoughts and attempted to eat; but he had no appetite.

As the second task approached, there was still no sign of Ellie. George hadn't had the chance to talk to Eva, but she didn't seem too concerned as she prepared for her second task. The four champions dived into the water to begin. George scanned the crowd; Ellie wouldn't miss supporting her sister.

Fleur was the first champion to return from the water. She was hysterical. Her thick accent made it hard to understand, but she kept crying about her sister and how she was attacked by Grindylows. Confused, the crowd continued to watch the water, waiting for any sign of the next champion.

When Viktor Krum emerged from the water, his head morphing back into human form, clutching Hermione in one arm, George knew exactly where Ellie was. It seemed as if the champions were jumping into the water to save someone important to them; for Fleur, that was her sister, for Viktor, it was Hermione... and for Eva, it was Ellie.

George gulped and waited for any ripple in the water. Underneath, Harry battled within hisself to take Ron and run, or to save Gabrielle as well. Actually, there was no contest - Fleur was no where in sight and he couldn't leave  her. He looked to his left and seen that Eva had successfully freed Ellie and was heading for the surface.

The girls emerged with a splash, both taking a full gasp of fresh air as Eva's bubble head charm wore off. George breathed a sigh of relief as he seen Ellie's head pop out of the water in the arms of her twin. The girls were lifted onto the platform and wrapped in a warm towel.

George knew then. He had to tell her. No more waiting, no more freezing. She could've very well been Gabrielle; Ellie could have been stranded at the bottom of the lake, Eva could've been attacked by grindylows. He broke through the crowd trying to reach the shivering Ellie, but everyone was stretching their necks to see the final champion emerge from the water. The cheering of the crowd distracted both of them just before George reached Ellie: Harry had saved both Ron and Gabrielle.