The Memories I Missed

In front of the humble house of the shaman, you sat down on the terrace with a cup of black coffee in front of you. The aromatic smell of the bitter coffee tickles your nose in a certain way that helps you identify that high-quality coffee beans are being used to make it, and it's properly crushed and brewed that helps maintain its premium quality.

Considering his characteristics, you never would've guessed that Guntur is a great coffee brewer. What's more, is that the shaman said that he personally grew his own coffee beans on the fields not far from there. They even sun-dried the coffee beans in the roof of the house.

You're not that much of a coffee fan, to begin with, but you don't hate them either. It's just that you find no reason to consume it. For some reason, coffee just doesn't affect you as it does to others, usually, people would experience adrenaline thanks to the caffeine, while others might find it hard to sleep after consumption, but you, on the other hand, don't feel any of that stuff, you can even fell asleep after consuming one no problem.

But despite having that advantage though, you prefer not to drink coffee often for the taste because of its bitterness isn't your favourite but a bit of sugar helps... alright maybe a lot of sugar... and some milk. Then that would be perfect.

"My my, look at how little you've grown compared to me" the old shaman chuckles. "you were nothing but a kid when you came here, and you're still are. While me, I was a young man then but now I'm old and wrinkly" he laughed. "At the very least I'm blessed to be able to meet you one last time before I go. If the lord is kind to me, he will give me the privilege to see the new world you'll create"

"I'm sorry for my silence, but I am quite lost," you said, feeling perplexed to what he's saying.

"Ah, right. We shouldn't get to that yet." the shaman laughed awkwardly before he attempts to change the topic. "Instead let me ask you, how have you been child?"

"Ah, I-I've been... fine" you answered the question that seems to be asked out of formalities.

"You say fine but your eyes say otherwise." the shaman gave you an understanding gaze at the look of your eyes. "Have you ever heard the phrase that the eyes are the gateway to the soul?" he said with a gentle smile.

You squirm uncomfortably in your seat while trying to avert your gaze anywhere else but the shaman. You know that he meant that he can see right through you, but you still refuse to give him any different answer prior to the one you've given. Not that you don't want to be truthful to him, instead, you just don't know how to answer him. Your current emotions are chaotic, to sum it up in one word would be hard.

"You come back home here with the Japanese. How have they been treating you?"

"How did you know that I arrived here with the Japanese?" you asked, taken back to the fact that he mysteriously knows so much.

"It is not a surprise. I can already hear it from here: the silent cheers of the people, welcoming the *yellow-skinned man who will save them from the clutch of the *white-skinned man who arrives with weapons that can kill from a distance" he said while calmly drinking his coffee with a smile.

"What?" You asked a bit confused with his answer. "Why would they celebrate the Japanese's arrival?"

"They have yet to celebrate child" he responded with a vaguely particular choice of words. When he said 'yet' does that mean he knows that it will happen?

The shaman only smiled at your reaction before he began to explain. "the arrival of white-skinned men who carry weapons that we're able to kill from distance. They will occupy Java for a very long time." He started, with folded hands. "But they would then be defeated, by the yellow-skinned men from the North, who would only occupy Java for the lifetime of a corn-stalk."