Jump Into The Fog

Richie tugged the blankets up over Maggie. The night before, he had told her his latest Princess Lily tale, of how Lucky Steven had coped with the day that Princess Lily left the kingdom, how he had been comforted by Prince Sam, Danny Boy and the Wise Man. Even now, thinking about Eddie leaving broke Richie's heart.

'Richie?' she asked.

'Yeah?'

'Do you know what happened to them all in the end?' Her voice was small, her eyes wide and innocent. 'Did Lucky Steven ever see Princess Lily again?'

Richie nodded. 'He did. You remember the dragon?'

'Duh,' Maggie rolled her eyes.

'Well, when we fought the dragon, it didn't really die. Instead, it transformed into a black curse which swept over the kingdom. It was a forgotten place, and anyone who left never remembered that they had been there.'

'Oh no. Does that mean that Princess Lily forgot the kingdom? And the Good Witch and the carpenter, did they forget too?'

'They all forgot. They forgot the kingdom and,' his voice cracked, 'they forgot each other. And when Lucky Steven left, he forgot, and so did Sam and so did Danny Boy. Only the Wise Man stayed in the kingdom and remembered. He was waiting, because he knew that one day he might need to call his friends home.'

'So what happened to them while they were gone?'

Richie huffed. 'Prince Sam married a beautiful princess from another land. The carpenter grew big and strong, and built himself a whole new kingdom. Danny Boy met a lovely lady and settled down with her and the birds in the Lost City of Atlantis. The Good Witch was captured by an Evil Warlock, but she was still able to create beautiful things to make other people happy.'

'What about the Princess and Lucky Steven?'

His heart clenched. 'The Princess got married too. She got married and she had a beautiful baby. Steven forgot that he was ever a knight, so he went back to being a jester. He was very good at it and he made a lot of money.'

'But they weren't together,' Maggie said sadly.

Richie shook his head. 'No. Lucky Steven always felt like something was missing, but he could never quite remember what it was.'

'He needed his friends.'

'He did. They were apart for over two decades, but eventually the Wise Man called them home and as soon as they were back, they remembered each other. They gave each other hugs and told each other jokes and stories, and it felt like an eternity had passed and no time at all.'

'Why did the Wise Man call them home?' Maggie asked.

Slapping his forehead, Richie explained, 'Because the evil had returned. It had gathered enough of its strength to transform back into a dragon.'

Maggie gasped and tugged the blanket up over her mouth and nose, afraid. 'Did they fight it?'

'They did. It was very difficult and they saw many awful things, but because they faced everything together, the evil was vanquished forever and the black curse was lifted.'

'Hooray!' Maggie cheered. 'Did the kingdom thank them?'

Richie shook his head. 'The rest of the kingdom didn't realise that anything had happened. It was the dragon's final revenge. So Princess Lily and her friends decided that they would leave the kingdom for good.'

'Oh,' Maggie frowned. 'So then what happened?'

Rubbing his hands on his kneecaps, Richie explained, 'Prince Sam went back to his princess and they are very, very happy. The Wise Man was finally able to leave the kingdom and decided to travel to far off lands, to brighter and prettier places. Danny Boy went back to his lovely lady, but the city of Atlantis is no longer lost, and his friends can visit him whenever they like.'