Moving to New York

It was dead. The Losers had defeated It again, for good this time and miraculously, all seven had all come out alive, if a little worse for wear. Eddie had it the worst; he'd been in hospital for a couple of weeks recovering following the final fight.

Richie had sat with him for the duration of his stay, keeping him company on the long and dull evenings, which didn't seem nearly so long and dull when they were together, even though Eddie couldn't speak much at first.

Richie regaled him with stories and jokes, new and original material which he wanted to try on his return to stand-up comedy. Eddie wasn't so forthcoming with his own stories, but he was quick to quip with Richie at each opportunity, to insult him, to keep remembering things about him from their shared, half-forgotten childhood.

Eddie saved his energy for his evening calls to his wife, where Richie always left the room. He said it was to give them privacy, but it was far more to do with Richie finding it impossibly painful to listen to Eddie on the phone to the woman he married.

Gradually, Eddie's strength returned, and Richie was so deeply relieved to know, really know, that Eddie was going to be alright.

When Eddie was finally discharged, he turned to Richie as they stepped out into the daylight. 'I guess this is goodbye for now, isn't it, Trashmouth?'

'Huh?' Richie slurred groggily. He'd not slept in a bed for so long. He wasn't sure what day it was.

'Well, won't you be going back to LA?' Eddie asked, but it didn't sound like a question.

Richie eyed Eddie's face in profile against the sun. 'Oh. I guess,' he said quietly, then coughed. 'And I suppose you'll be going back to your wife in New York.'

Eddie grunted. 'I'm not sure that she should be my wife anymore.'

Snapping his head around, Richie spluttered, 'What?'

'I've been thinking about it,' Eddie said, narrowing his eyes against the blinding rays, 'and I don't want to be with her. I don't love her. And life is too fucking short to spend unhappily married to her.'

Richie's jaw dropped. 'You're going to divorce her?'

'There aren't many other ways to stop being married to someone,' Eddie said flatly. 'So, yeah. I'm going to divorce her.'

'Fuck,' Richie cracked.

Eddie flashed his eyes at him suspiciously. 'Why do you care? I mean,' he chuckled, 'I would understand if you'd met her, but —'

Hastily backtracking, Richie joked, 'I just can't believe you're going to be married and divorced before I've even had one fucking wedding. So selfish of you.'

'Always the bridesmaid, Rich?' Eddie snickered.

'It's a tragedy,' Richie said melodramatically, clutching his chest. 'We both know that I would look sensational in a white dress.'

Eddie snorted, 'Either strapless or backless, I'm assuming.'

Miming drawing the curves on his chest, Richie corrected, 'Sweetheart neckline.'

'Princess cut?'

'And the same cut for the ring,' Richie added. 'I'm a classy bitch.'

'Since when?'

Richie nudged him, 'Since forever. Richie Trashmouth Tozier: pure class.'

'Pure crass, more like,' Eddie laughed. 'Or pure ass.'

'I didn't realise you'd noticed my ass,' Richie chuckled, winking.

Eddie rolled his eyes. 'Not what I meant.'