Curveballs

'Rich?' Eddie whispered into the dim light of the spare bedroom.

'Hmm?' Richie grunted his response. It was his fourth night in the Kaspbrak residence, much to Myra's chagrin, as she hadn't exactly warmed to him. In fact, she was deeply wary of him, asking strange and probing questions, confused as to how and why he knew her husband so intimately when she had never met him or heard these stories before.

Eddie shut the door behind himself and tiptoed in. 'I'm going to talk to Myra about the divorce.'

'Now?' Richie burbled.

He nodded, toying with the drawstring of his pyjamas. 'I need to get it over with or I'll chicken out forever.'

'You got this, buddy,' Richie assured.

Exhaling heavily, Eddie sat on the edge of the bed and put his head in his hands. 'It's so surreal. I know it's the right thing for me, but I am worried for Maggie. It's going to uproot her whole life.'

Uncomfortable with the solemnity of the conversation, Richie went to sit beside him. It was easier to be serious when he didn't have to look at him. 'What's best for you is what's best for Maggie, if we're talking about you being happy.'

'Maybe,' Eddie breathed.

'Definitely,' Richie insisted, patting a hand onto Eddie's thigh and immediately regretting it, until he felt Eddie's hand rest on top of his own. It made his heart stutter in his chest like he was still a teenager.

Eddie twisted his head ever so slightly towards Richie's. 'Thanks.'

Richie mirrored him. 'Don't mention it.'

Eddie sighed through his nose. 'I don't want Maggie to overhear the conversation. Would you mind going and reading her a storybook or something? Just until she falls asleep.'

Richie tried to conceal his panic, and hoped that his palm didn't sweat obviously onto Eddie's slacks. 'Sure, no problem.'

'You know, she does like you,' Eddie encouraged. 'Maggie, I mean.'

'Does she?' Richie asked, the corners of his mouth drooping uncertainly. 'How do you know?'

Eddie smiled. 'She told me. She's never scared to tell me what she thinks.'

'Just like her dad,' Richie jostled against him.

'With you, maybe,' Eddie corrected. 'Myra's another story. You've seen sweet Myra, hostess Myra. There's another side to her. It's fucking terrifying to tell her what you think.'

Richie grinned, fully twisting his body to face Eddie. 'Well, if she's going to give you nightmares, just come and cuddle up with me and I'll read you a storybook too.'

'Fuck off, Tozier,' Eddie chided, slapping his hand against Richie's chest. 'Although it is doubtful that she'll let me sleep in our bed tonight.'

Burying the unwarranted excitement that his joke stimulated, Richie asked, 'So which side of the bed will I be tucking you into? Will you need a nightlight? Teddy bear for Eddie-bear?'

Eddie tried to fight his smile and failed. 'You are the fucking worst.'

'Seriously though,' Richie said, 'do you want the bed? I can sleep on the couch.'

'Don't be stupid. You're a guest.' Eddie waved his hand dismissively as he stood. 'Right. I better do this thing.'

Richie stood too, feeling compelled to, like his heart was tied to Eddie's with an invisible string. He hastily remembered his promise to read to Maggie. 'What book should I read? The only one I have with me is Bill's latest and, while entertaining, might have the opposite effect to the one we're going for.'