Chapter 16

I found out that controlling emotions was actually quite easy, if one is given help. Haldir was the right person for the job, giving up all his time in order to help me overcome my problem. I soon found myself falling in love with Haldir; I knew it was coming after what Helas told me.

Haldir and I spent the next few days together, never separating for even a moment. While we were walking in the garden hand in hand, a vision came to me. It shocked me, for what I saw was not what I wished to see. I saw Merewen, Elladan and Elrohir being attacked by spiders. I saw Merewen being dragged off and being so scared but was powerless against the venom of the spider bite. I saw an elf pick Merewen up and take her away from the spiders.

I thought that everything was all right, because Merewen was rescued and the twins could care for themselves. But I was wrong, I saw Merewen find Elladan in the spiders cave impaled by the queens leg, dying! I could practically feel her pain, and I heard their last words to each other, confessing their love. Then all I saw was black.

I stumbled slightly but was caught by Haldir, who wore a very worried expression across his face. “Are you alright?” he asked.

“Yes I am fine, but my friends are not.” I was slightly amazed for a while noticing that my power had returned in time. “Come there is a band of elves heading this way we must meet them.” I said.

I was pacing back and forth waiting for the warriors to prepare, when I saw something in a bush move. “Who’s out there? Show yourselves!” I yelled whilst notching my bow, and then I saw him. Elrohir stumbled through the bush looking deathly pale. I ran over to him and yelled for Haldir to help. We helped Elrohir inside to the healers, who looked after him immediately. I heard him say that he needed help finding his brother and Merewen for they had all gotten separated.

Though I knew what had become of his brother, I had not the heart to tell him. Instead I told him that a band of elves had found them, and they were on their way here, at this very moment. He calmed down somewhat, knowing that I must have foreseen this. He was actually not in that bad of shape, quite a few scratches and cuts, but other than that, he was fine. I told him that I would be back shortly, for I was going out to find Merewen and Elladan.

“Why did you not tell him Inwe?”

“I had not the heart to tell him, Melamin!”

“Do you want him to…Melamin?”

“Yes that is what I said,” came my response whilst smiling.

“Does this mean… mean that you… you return my affections, Inwe? Do you return my love?” I nodded my response. Haldir jumped forward pulling me into his arms. He kissed me passionately forming having found out what he previously only hoped.

I pulled away. “No. Haldir please, not now, you must help me find my friend.” He blushed slightly and apologized, and with that, we gathered the warriors and left.

We rode for a while, encountering several spiders. They were easy to get rid of, for they were just the strays that escaped the attack at their nest, but this didn’t mean they were not dangerous. One of the younger warriors was nearly bitten by one, but Haldir killed it before it could inflict any damage. We continued for several hours, but never came across the band of elves that we hoped to meet. We decided it was best to set up camp just off the road.

The duties were separated, as were the watches, though nobody slept. For the ever-present feeling of spiders lurking in the trees was on everyone’s mind. Haldir never left my side, he allowed me to have a watch but volunteered to have the same one, not that I minded, though. I sat there with him, wondering when my friend was going to appear on the path.