Chapter 14

I heard a beautiful voice that I recognized telling me things that I was trying hard to ignore, but it finally got through to me, saying, ‘Inwe do not do this, I do not want you to join me in the Halls of Mandos. You are meant for greater things. There are many who love you, though it may not appear as so.’ I tried very hard to tell my confused mind that what this voice was telling me was not true, but it just continued. ‘Come now, Inwe, I know you can hear me, or do you not remember me, Melamin!’

I was so confused, and I could feel my powers draining from me. I begged them to stay with me, for it was the only thing that made me myself! But then, a burst of light appeared before me, I covered my eyes and looked away only to have my head turned back, and what I saw before me shocked me greatly.

“Helas! Is that you?” He nodded. “But I thought that you were…were dead.” He smiled slightly. “But how are you here? I do not understand.”

“You are not meant to understand, my dearest, for I do not myself. I have come to tell you that your powers are not what make you special, for you have always been special to everyone that loves you! And what is this I hear about nobody loving you? This is a lie, and I am sure you know this.” I stepped back off the ledge and Helas’s glowing form landed mere inches away from me.

“It was you, wasn’t it?”

“Was me what, what did I do?” He answered with a bright smile across his face.

“You saved me from the spider venom, for I should have been gone by now!”

“Ah yes, that was I, for I have put it upon myself to protect you. I love you far too much to let anything happen to you.”

“Oh Helas, how much I have missed you.” I said whilst throwing myself into his arms, not caring if he was real or not. To my surprise, I could feel him touch me, and I was touching him, I could feel all the confusion in my mind slowly drain away, I was so happy!

I felt Helas pull away from me. “This is not what I have come to do, Inwe. There is much happening of late that you remain unaware of, for you are letting your power slip from you. Do not allow this to happen, for you will never find out what has befallen your friends. And please do not waste away on my account. Please find love again, I know of what Haldir feels for you. Do not hold back. Let yourself go and fall in love with him, for I know you have feelings for him.”

This took me a bit by surprise, for Helas knew everything that had been happening as of late. “I must go now Inwe, but remember to keep your emotions in control, and do not be afraid to fall in love again!” With this, he started to fade away; just when I thought he was back again, he was leaving.

“Please, don’t go. I need you, Melamin.” He did not slow down though, he didn’t stay with me. I started to cry hysterically when I could no longer see him.

I knew not how long I was crying, but when I felt two arms pick me up and carry me into the chamber, I was brought out of my trance-like depression. I looked up into the eyes of the person who was carrying me; I somehow knew that it was Haldir. I could somehow just tell it was him. However, I did not start crying again, instead I nestled into his muscular chest.

“I saw him!” I whispered, almost like I wished that Haldir would not hear.

“Who did you see?” Came the calm reply of Haldir.

“I saw Helas; he came to me to tell me of things that are coming to pass.” Haldir said nothing, just nodded understandingly. “He told me that something is wrong with Merewen, Elladan and Elrohir. Have you heard anything?” I asked.

“I have heard news of them. They took off in search of you into the woods, my guards have just now found their horses, though none of them have been found yet.”

This news was startling to hear. ‘How could they be gone?’ I thought, “I have sent a search party out after them.”

“NO!” I yelled. “I know that all of my friends would not want others at risk of being hurt at their expense.” A look crossed Haldir’s face, almost like he was considering that fact for the first time.

I told Haldir what I was told, how I needed to control my emotions or lose my power forever. I also told him that Helas gave me his blessing on finding love again, though I never said whom I was to seek. I told him that I needed his help to control my emotions and fast, for I knew that I could find my friends faster that way, unless they managed to get away themselves.