プロローグ

"_____!"

You turned to whoever called you. Instead of seeing a smiling face of your sister, it was a bloodied face of hers-tears streaming down her cheeks.

It was not a pleasant sight.

"_____, please... please help us!" Your sister begged, her hands reaching out to grab your white loose shirt, now stained with blood when she grabbed it. Her nails clawed at your skin when she grabbed tighter, her face now horrid with slash marks.

Slowly and surely, you felt hands grabbing you by the neck and face from behind. You wanted to scream, but nothing came out. Your screams were silent.

A voice suddenly spoke, "You did this... you made this happen," it provoked you. Oh, how much it provoked you.

You didn't do this-no, you didn't mean for all of this to happen. You just wanted to support your family, to help them earn money so your parents could live off their lives peacefully when they got older, so your sister could study and pursue her future as a doctor instead of collecting coal.

No...

You didn't mean for them to be your price.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❛ Prologue ❜

RUSTLING LEAVES AND HOWLING WINDS were the sounds you woke up to. You winced as a sharp high pitched noise resonated in your ears. The first thing you felt was coldness. Extreme coldness.

You forced your eyes open and green. It was grass. You looked around and saw trees looming over you with their enormous height.

Trees... a forest? But the place where I lived...

Where did you live?

—Wait, why couldn't you remember?

As you tried to remember, again and again, you were aware. You can't remember where you lived, where you were born nor who your family was.

Then who did you dream about?

You remember feeling warmth when you heard their voice. You remember feeling fear when you saw their bloodied body. You remember feeling pain hearing their pleadings.

You know who you are, how old you are, how you look, and how you are a demon slayer. It was as if everything and everyone else that is not about you were erased from your memories.