十九

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❛𝐖𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐀𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧❜

DAYS PASSED ALONGSIDE THE SOLACE that lingered for a moment. A young Kanao walked through the estate with medicine in her hands for you. Shinobu was busy studying her medicinal practices and Aoi helping the trio recover. 

It has been quite some time that you stayed in the estate, but this was the first time that Kanao got to stay with you, one to one. 

It was strange. She was nervous about it. 

In moments, Kanao reached the door that led to the room that you were in. She knocked on the door three times before sliding it open. 

You weren't paying attention to Kanao's arrival as you looked out the nearby window, watching the sun cascade through the opening as it rose to the sky. Even as Kanao walked over to you, you still didn't notice. 

Kanao tapped you on the shoulder and you snapped away from your trance and looked back at her. "Oh, hello Kanao." Your voice was strained because of just waking up. 

"Good morning, Miss Tsukiko." 

"I'm sure I mentioned it before, but you can call me _____." Kanao didn't comment further as she prepared your medicine. You watched as she prepared it, and your eyes landed on her hands.

For a young girl, she has calloused and firm hands due to her training with her blade. You looked back at your hands and flashes of that memory appeared. Both tainted red and dripped crimson blood. 

They were both human hands, both similar—calloused and firm. And yet the memory and experience those hands went through were drastically different. 

When Kanao gave you a cup filled with water mixed with the medicine, you blurted out. "What made you want to be a demon slayer, Kanao?" 

Kanao froze as you took the cup away from her and gulped down the medicine, wincing at the bitter taste. When you finished downing it, you looked at her to see her looking back at you with the same distant gaze you have. 

You hummed as you looked away. "Was it the moment that you realized demons were cruel creatures?" 

The young girl was prompted to nodding as a response. 

"Then, do you hate them?" You twirled the cup, watching the residue mix.

Kanao didn't reply immediately. She reached into her pocket to—what you assumed—get her coin. You placed your hand on her and stopped her from getting it. "I would like to hear what you truly think, Kanao."