There Is Only War Part 4:Aurelius

A/n: I do not own Warhammer 40k and any other characters from other franchises. I only own any original characters and the plot.

Memento Mori

Jaune Pov

The Dask campaign was a success at the cost of many men among the regiments. With the death of Colonel 186 and many more command roles left empty, the regiments are currently filling them out with Guardsmen and Watchmasters. Thankfully, no one in my personal platoon has died during the battle. The Watchmaster, who I have named Ace for simple reference, was currently conversing with the men. The platoon seemed more human than before, acting more like an actual platoon rather than the Skitarii of the Adeptus Mechanicus. 

We were en route to another scheduled warzone to throw ourselves at when the ship's captain received a transmission from Hieronymous Theta. The planet had been safe from war and thus, were unequipped to handle its own problems. Apparently, the planet had a mutant uprising that has begun attacking the civilian population. Now, the Memento Mori was being sent to deal with the problem. Hopefully, we lose fewer men during the engagement than before. I hope that I won't get promoted to Colonel-Commissar, who has to lead the entire regiment and supervise at a regimental level. In the grimdark universe that is 40k, paperwork still exists.

Hieronymous Theta

This blasted world had to have Necron forces sleeping underneath it, didn't it? The mutants were already a problem, now the Necron had to join in. These buggers are literal cockroaches that simply do not want to die and want to kill everything for the hell of it.

The millions of souls in Hieronymous City were sacrificed to the Necrons. The 42nd and 81st suffered many casualties but were still able to hold on. It is already safe to say that most of the PDF were either dead or has defected, then died. I heard that the Watchasters trained them and it was too hard for most standard troops. The poor sods were unable to keep up, leading to multiple casualties.

It was so bad to the point the Planetary Govererner and the PDF General attempting negotiation with the Necrons. Safe to say, their bodies were already a warning to all civilians and PDF attempting to defect. Commissar Costellin was currently preparing to raid the city's generator that was suspected to be used to fully awaken the tomb world. I suspect that it would be heavily defended. As of now, I am being held back in case the regiments lose most of the command staff and I would be able to pick up the pieces.

2 days later

The raid was a failure. We were being pulled out due to severe hits to the heavy artillery being heavily pounded by Necron forces and rebels. The civilians had begun to worship the Necrons as 'Iron Gods' and severely weakened the force sent to destroy the command Nexus. In the end, Commissar Costellin was slain during the final skirmishes and the regiments were told to retreat. 

The regiments were tasked with the elimination of Orks on the planet of Djanglla, However, Ace informed me that someone wanted to see me. Hopefully, no one was going to hound me of my inabilities as a Commissar.

No Pov

Jaune entered the briefing room. Colonel 42 was the face he had expected to be in the room. However, Jaune had not expected another familiar face in the briefing room.

"My lord, I am humbled to be in your presence," Jaune greeted the Inquisitor before him, remembering his mentor Cain's teachings in bullshitting others.

"Jaune, my friend, you do not need to greet me in such a manner. I never was so hard on my rank," Aurelius commented. 

Jaune had never seen Aurelius for a long time. Both of them had not seen each other ever since Aurelius was taken to be tutored as an Acolyte. As such, it was an extremely lucky coincidence they were able to meet each other.