Election Start!

"Sorry Chiaki, I don't think I'll do that. It's too much pressure for someone like me." Nagito sighs, drumming his fingers on the table. I clench my fist on my lap, focusing my gaze on my legs as Chiaki's face falls.

   "Oh, come on, please? Just take some time to think about it!" She pleads. Sonia sighs. 

   "Chiaki, stop, he already said no. We must not ask again." She murmurs. Chiaki pouts, sinking down in her seat, folding her arms over her chest. 

   "Well. . .too be fair to them, you didn't give it much thought. You just dismissed it easily because you don't believe in yourself. I think you should at least take some time to think about it." Shuichi pipes up.

   "The Election starts this Friday! You want me to make such a huge decision before then?" Nagito complains, throwing his hands up. 

   "Nagito," I mutter, "I think you should go for it. You're the only decent person capable of taking over the horrid Celestia Ludenberg. . .consider it." 

   His eyes widen. "Hajime. . .um, alright, fine, I'll give you guys my answer tomorrow, if you want." He relents. I smile back at him. 

   "Thank you, Nagito." I say. He's eyes seem to briefly sparkle.

   "Y-Yeah!"

-

   I feel like smacking my head against my desk.

   I've been in my room for three hours and I still can't focus on my work! I can't get my mind off of Komaeda or Sonia and Chiaki, or the upcoming Election. It's all just adding to the pre-existing stress I have going on in my life, with the heavy school workload and getting the money to pay my debts. 

   Because in the end I'm just a kid in a messed up school with one friend and one crazy guy, just trying to survive until graduation. And it's definitely too late for a transfer now, besides from the fact that going to Hyakkaou Academy has been my dream since I was young; how was I supposed to know about these crazy people and insane systems?!

   Ugh, I feel like a breakdown like this was long overdue. But can you really blame me?! My first year I didn't try to gamble unless I had to, let alone bother with the Election! I just tried to get my schoolwork done and be happy! But that was when Celestia Ludenberg took over and destroyed the school. 

   So that's why this Election matters to me-to all of us. And what am I doing?-staking all on a zealous, fanatical gambler, who's just concerning in general. And he hasn't even agreed to gather votes yet, if ever.

   I push away from my desk, ignoring my homework for now, flopping on top of my bed. I curl myself into a ball, cradling my head in my hands. I let out a loud groan, curling my toes. 

   The Election kicks off in two days, and will last for thirty. Nagito Komaeda, please. . .

   I drift off to sleep, eyebrows crinkled with worry.

~

     "Hinata, come here~"

I look up from my book, glancing over at Komaeda sitting at the desk next to me. He's smirking at me, fiddling with the box of pocky in his hands. I frown.

". . .Why?"

He pulls out a piece of pocky. "I have a gamble for you~" He coos. I scratch the back of my neck.

"What kind of gamble. . ?" He snickers.

"Come sit in my lap and I'll tell you."