Turtles

Ryan and I had been hanging out for a few weeks when Dustin insisted that he throw me a birthday party for my twenty eighth birthday. I had refused at first, but had given in gradually, as Dustin did this every year, arguing about how I deserved a party and that he was going to throw one no matter what, so I just let him do what he liked. He usually only invited my family, and Jade and himself. Mostly, because I didn't have any friends. I always rolled my eyes when he said that, as I did have friends. Just none that I made an effort to hang out with often.

But on the night of my birthday, when I drove up to our home and saw a few more cars than usual there, I sighed. It was clear that Dustin was trying to surprise me, even though I don't like surprises, even a little bit. But whatever. It's the thought that counts, I suppose. I parked my car behind what I recognized to be my grandparents' truck, and entered my house. Immediately, I was bombarded with relatives, wishing me well and thrusting gifts in my direction. I saw my grandparents, my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, the whole lot. My family was kind of large, as my mother was one of four girls. I made my way through the massive wave of relatives and was quickly pushed into someone I hadn't expected to see.

"Woah, almost spilled my drink! Sorry 'bout that, Jaspar." I shook my head.

"No, it's okay, Ryan. I'm surprised to see that you came." The lanky man in front of me grinned.

"Oh, but I couldn't miss it! Not after Dustin told me that you didn't have any friends!" I gritted my teeth.

"Of course he did. Well, I was going to say I was glad you came, but I suppose since you're not my friend..."

Ryan frowned.

"Hey, I didn't say that!" He hugged me tightly.

"Dustin did!" I crossed my arms, feining anger.

"Hmm... Well, I suppose I forgive you." He smiled, just as my mother yelled something about it being time for opening presents. I was quickly led into the living room and practically pushed onto the couch. Gifts were quickly stacked in front of me, which I looked questioningly at. Ryan nudged me.

"They're for you! Open them!" I looked up at my relatives, most of whom held cameras. I shrugged and picked up a present, starting to open it.

---

I hung out with Ryan for most of the night, as Dustin and Jade disappeared half way through the night. We both got the usual gasps of 'Oh, Jazzy, you got yourself a nice little boyfriend there!' I was always tell them that he wasn't my boyfriend, and Ryan would just blush. I felt bad for him, getting so many old people asking him questions about his "relationship" with me. We finally went outside, trying to get away from the incredible amount of uncomfortable questions and kids screaming. We had a pool in the back, but it was a bit cold to be swimming. Ryan and I walked around the pool, chatting softly and looking at the water. I stopped at the top of the waterfall and looked onto the water, taking in how pretty it looked with the lights reflecting off of it.

"Hey, Jaspar..." I turned to face Ryan.

"Yeah, Ry?" He hesitated, looking from the water back to me. I teased lightly, trying to ease up the sudden awkwardness:

"Hey, don't think about pushing me in, Ross." He shook his head.

"It's not that, it's just..." he mumbled something, trailing off. I sighed.

"Just spit it out, Ryan!" He silenced me immediately by pressing his lips to mine. I stiffened from the shock, but his lips felt perfect against mine. I hadn't really thought of Ryan in a way more than a friend, but...

Ryan pulled away, blushing furiously.

"S-sorry..." I shook my head, not quite sure how to handle this.

"Uh... it's fine, let's just go get some cake..."

---

That night, as I laid in bed, I couldn't help but to think of Ryan. The emotions he made me feel were... scary, to say the least. I wanted them there, but at the same time, I wanted them to completely disappear and stop making my thoughts all jumbled. But I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss. How Ryan's mouth had perfectly to mine, how soft and warm he was. He had been a little awkward and embarrassed the rest of the night, but as he left, I had quickly pressed a kiss onto his cheek, wishing him a goodnight. I pressed my fingernails into my palms in frustration. I couldn't do this, these feelings were all too confusing. I didn't want them, I wouldn't have them. But as I fell asleep, Ryan was the only person in my dreams.

I woke up to Dustin pounding on my door, shouting for me to get up. I yawned and got up to open the door, but before I could, my best friend barged in.

"Yo, what's up with you and Ryro?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You mean Ryan? Nothing, why?"

Dustin shrugged.

"I dunno, just the fact that he stopped by a few minutes ago, asked if he had left his jacket here, and left in kind of a hurry. Kid seemed pretty nervous, awkward, almost embarrassed. What'd you do?" I bristled at his comment.

"Why do you assume that I did something?!" He looked at me blankly and I sighed.

"Okay, yes, I guess we're a little awkward right now, but only because last night, at the party, we were hanging out by the pool and he kissed me." It all came tumbling out, barely quick enough to hear, but Dustin was used to my fast talking.

"Woah, woah, woah. Back up. He kissed you?! Like, on the lips?!" His eyes widened in surprise and I groaned.

"Oh my god, Dustin, yes, but, for god's sake, we are not in fourth grade! Don't make a huge deal out if this!" Dustin danced around my room.

"Ryro and Jazzy! Jazzy and Ryro! I love it!" I slugged him.

"Cut that out! We're not together!" Dustin stopped, pouting.

"Well, why not? He likes you, you like him- hey, don't give me that look. I can tell you like him. Best friend instinct." I sighed.

"We're just... not, okay?" Dustin rolled his eyes.

"Well, that's gonna change! You'll see! My plans for relationships are always right!" I rolled my eyes. It wasn't seventh grade anymore, and Dustin was no matchmaker. He would just have to get over it. It was purely something between Ryan and I. And we would be the ones who chose how our relationship would change, or not change.