CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

(chapter xvii)

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ☽⋅.} ───── ⊰

} ───── ⊰

            Alicea narrowed her eyes as she observed the book she was reading. For the past few days, since she had finally gotten Lucifer to stop his brothers from watching over her, it only took her being in complete silence to feel the loneliness.

Whenever the boys went to school, Alicea was usually asleep, because she was exhausted whenever anyone watched her. However, with no longer dealing with an odd schedule of being awake at night, she was finally able to rest properly.

It was probably the first time since she'd been able to sleep by Lucifer's side without having been awake and passing time reading a book. Though now that she had a regular schedule, she only realized she missed it.

Because before living in the House of Lamentation with Lucifer and the others, she always had company when she temporarily lived at Diavolo's home.

One of the familiars always by her side—or if not them, Barbatos was by her in a split second if and ever she needed him. Needlessly to say, Alicea was just unfamiliar with dead silence.

It felt relaxing, but also terribly lonely, which resulted in her walking through the halls to distract herself. Since books were not doing it for her anymore.

Whilst she walked around, she realized just how much of the house she had never explored. It was mostly just empty or rooms full of nothing but old furniture. It was uneventful for most of her curiosity until she stumbled upon one room. She could hear subtle snoring and Alicea pondered for a moment before gathering her courage and reaching to open the door. As she did, she was met with a vast room, and in the dead center was a large three-headed dog.

Her eyes widened, but as she took a moment to observe—a smile plastered on her lips. Alicea was either insanely brave or stupidly idiotic, because before she even put her thoughts together—she walked over to the large dog.

The three-headed dog's ear twitched at the sound of her footsteps. The large hound opened its eyes and a growl started to form through its throat. However, before it had aggressively raged in being disturbed—it let out a huff seeing who was before it.

"You must be Cerberus," Alicea smiled politely as she wrapped her arms behind her back. Keeping her hands to herself and her emotions intact, Cerberus just observed her. She was a new face, but her scent was exactly like Lucifer's. So, it was confused about whether she was an intruder or if she was an acquaintance of its master. As if she heard the hound's thoughts, Alicea giggled.

Cerberus' tilted his heads and before he knew it, he had lowered it to her. Alicea took the chance right away and reached over with both of her hands. Her hand couldn't decide which head to pet, so instead, she ran over and hugged as much as she could.

The hound was taken back at the sudden affection, but not sensing danger, Cerberus' tail wagged and took in the bliss of the loving female.

"Only my wife would be this foolish to hug such a large beast without thinking," Lucifer's voice snapped Alicea out of her affections for Cerberus.

Alicea looked over her shoulder and before commenting on his words, Cerberus started to lick her face. She laughed at the affection, despite being practically drenched in the hounds' slobber. Lucifer sighed and waited for a while before growing envious and taking his wife back.

Cerberus was not happy at the idea of Alicea being taken away, so he started to whine. However, not doing anything to take Alicea back or to attack Lucifer—the large hound started to throw a mild tantrum.

            "Alicea, can come here as she pleases, Cerberus, she lives here after all, but even I wish to spend some time with my wife," Lucifer stepped forward scolding the hound.

Eventually, the pair left the room, after The hound had calmed down. It had taken a lot longer than Lucifer had wanted, wishing he could have just teleported out, but knowing his temperamental hound, no way the hound wouldn't have caused a ruckus and destroyed the room in anger.

            "You know, if you didn't have my scent, Cerberus would have used you as a chew toy?" Lucifer walked alongside Alicea.

            Alicea hummed, shaking her head," Somehow, I don't think he would have. Cerberus is a large and menacing looking hound, but under all that he is a sweetheart"

            "You do not know any sign of danger and it worries me," Lucifer shook his head in exasperation.

             "I would take that as an insult, but for once, I knew exactly where I was going with Cerberus— Before Alicea could finish her sentence, she was suddenly pushed against a wall. Lucifer's hand slapped onto the wall next to her head as he stood before her.

            "This is one of the reasons, I placed you under protection. Even if you knew where you were going with Cerberus, what if there was someone else in that room? A stranger, what would have you done then?"

            "If the situation was different, then I'll be able to—"

            Lucifer frowned," It's your thinking like that, that had put you in danger all those years ago during the war, Alicea"

            Alicea blinked at his words and before she knew it her head lowered as she bit her lip," I chose to fight beside you Lucifer...I vowed to be by your side until death...whether you liked it or not..." When she looked up, her vision grew blurry from the tears," Maybe it was stupid of me, but I couldn't imagine a world without you Lucifer"

             "You've could have avoided all the pain you endured—"

              "Nothing could ever pain me as much as the thought of losing you" Alicea lifted her hand and placed it on his cheek," I chose to fall with you, even if it meant leaving everything we worked so hard on building"

Lucifer closed his eyes and leaned his head forward. His forehead leaning on her own, before placing a kiss on her eyelids.

            "I apologize for being such a coward...I only got you back and the thought of you being in any danger horrifies me," Lucifer whispered.

            Alicea lowered her hands and wrapped her arms onto his torso," We can't always avoid danger, but I promise you that I won't be leaving you anytime soon"

           Lucifer sighed and embraced her back," Can we change that to never"

            "We'll work on it, together" Alicea nuzzled her face in his chest.