Rivers and Mountains

"You is well on your way, Mr. Collins. Looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed today," Abigail gushed, helping River out of the wagon. Setting him against a large flat stone. 

They'd been traveling along a little known path running parallel to the great Sante Fe trail. The trail ran from Independence, Missouri, westward past Council Grove to the Great Bend of Arkansas and finally along the Red River toward their new home. 

There were only a few weeks left on the trail. Whether or not Ellie wanted to she'd learned his name and much else about him she didn't care to know.

River had been awake a few days. During which time Ellie's parents doted on him. Caring for and coddlingly him, riddled with guilt over his assault. As they did, Ellie's resentment of him only grew. 

She told them what he was capable of but they didn't believe her. Once again, their Christianity blinded them to the possibility that the man was dangerous. They shamed her for judging him too harshly and too quickly but they hadn't seen what she'd seen. They didn't know everything.

Despite all this, her mother was right. The color returned to his cheeks. He hadn't had a fever for nigh on three days but he was weak, unable to stand on his own nor fend for himself. 

"I'm sure Mr. Collins will be wanting to get on about his business, Mama." Ellie glared at him from the corner of her as she stirred the pot of stew, strung up over the campfire. River's lips curled into a boyish smile.

"Mrs. Sweeten, you madam are an angel. I couldn't be in betta hands. I am surely thankful to you folks, tending me as you have. If you let me I'll be glad to stay on and repay the favor." Ellie rolled her eyes as her mother blushed. 

"Hershal could sure use another pair of hands with the horses and there'll be some building to do once we reach our plot of land." Abigail had a faraway look as she considered all they'd need to do to start their new lives. She stopped suddenly and shook her head, "I wouldn't want to impose upon you." 

River took her dainty hand in his, "Think nothing of it, ma'am. You've done me a good turn and I ought to repay the favor." Ellie watched what might be mistaken for concern cross his features, "Might I ask, Ma'am, how's my horse?" 

"Oh my dear, I don't know how to tell you this-" Mrs. Sweeten began, clutching River's hand a bit tighter.

"I shot her," Ellie offered deadpan. 

River's hazel eyes flashed to her. His eyes were wide and glassy, torn with emotion.

A pang of guilt tugged at Ellie. The pain she saw on his face forced continued confession, "She was dying, s-so I let her go," She hurriedly muttered.

His visaged seemed resigned as he said, "Thank you, Ellie, once again you've done me a great service."

"What's this about a great service?"Hershal said, sauntering to the campsite.

 A gravelly patch of bare ground ringed by trees and brush. At its center, a man-made fire pit with a pot hanging precariously over the flames. 

Ellie covered in cinders, folded her knees beneath her as she tended the meal. Hershal seated himself next to Ellie, warming his hands by the fire, adding more scavenged wood to the flames. 

"Mr. Collins will be staying on after he's all healed to help us," Abigail said excitedly. 

River nodded, "I'd be glad of it if you'd just call me, River. I know my way around a hammer and nail, Mr. Sweeten, and I've a fair way with horses." 

Ellie turned sharp eyes to her father shaking her head vehemently, "Papi, he can't stay with us." 

"Ellie, I'm surprised at you. You shot the man, a fact he's willing to overlook," Hershal turned to River briefly, "Which we sincerely appreciate." 

River was wearing that same lopsided smirk Ellie was starting to hate, "Think nothing of it, Mr. Sweeten. Y'all did save my life after all." 

"Please call me, Hershal." He smiled to acknowledge River then turned his focus back to Ellie, "The man is even willing to help us, after all this, and you want to run him off." Hershal's voice was rife with disappointment. 

"Papi-"Ellie began but her father would hear no more.

"Eleanor," He was saying full names which meant his patience was done, "I have heard enough." He stood, dusting off his pant leg, and abruptly making his way back to the wagon. 

"Lawd love you, Ellie. Sometimes you just don't know when to quit." Her mother lifted her skirts and rush after her father. 

Ellie sighed. It seemed despite her best efforts she's couldn't shake the snake that coiled its way into their lives. 

"Won't get rid of me that easily, Eleanor." River beamed. 

Ellie felt a rolling heat in the pit of her stomach. The corners of her mouth pressed into a grimace. "I've seen what you are, River Collins. The kind of future that you bring and I'll be damned if I let you hurt anyone I love." 

"You cannot fuck the future, Ellie, the future fucks you."