Chapter 2

[editted]

Chapter 2: you're not fun

Brooklyn's POV

To call my last week's job crazy is a bit of an understatement.

Soon after leaving Ms. Jenkins' flat, I was fretting over the bottle of juice, wondering if it could hopefully inspire me to come up with a plausible excuse to tell my boss.

I was so screwed.

My boss wasn't a guy you would want to mess with. He's an old man known for his neurotic appetite for money and robust women. From the many rumours I've been told, he used to be more or less involved in a highly intellectual underground association run by the government. Hence, unless you happen to be a wealthy, voluptuous woman of Armenian descent who likes to eat fish raw, he'll probably hate you. And by probably hate, I mean completely terminate.

So, as you can imagine, I was scared out of mind as I made my way back to my doom. Entering the shop, I slowly treaded towards his office, hoping to stall. Upon arriving outside his door, I took a deep breath and pushed it open, abandoning all hope.

And everything went downhill from there.

I tried offering my drink, but that, as you can imagine, only resulted in the bottle flying across the room. Soon after came the unwarranted stream of cursing and yelling. Finally, to my complete and utter dismay, he gave me the boot and kicked me out of the store.

...Happy thoughts, I told myself.

All in all, I've finally decided that it's been a very interesting experience.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. Lifting my face, I let my eyes close and took a deep, purifying breath to try and recover what's left of my sanity. Sighing, I continued my trek to Mrs. Cooper's.

Suddenly, my pocket started to buzz and I quickly fumbled for my monstrous phone.

From: Jessica

where are you? what are you doing? do you know what time it is?!

I rolled my eyes before pressing the call button. Her ringtone rang for a long time before she finally picked up.

"Hey, sis! I just came-" Before I could finish, she hung up. Moving the phone away from my ear, I stared at it, confused.

What's gotten into her?

As I was about to call her again, a text message beat me to it.

From: Jessica

didn't I tell you about how expensive minutes are? just send a goddamn text instead!!

It's not like everybody has a nice phone like you, I huffed and began my search for the letters on the number pad. This may come as a shock, but I didn't exactly have the most advanced phone out there.

I h-a-v-e a-n i-m-p-o-r-t-a-nI typed.

My phone buzzed again, having received another text message.

From: Jessica

don't tell me that you have something important to do! i don't want to hear it. you better be here- 12:30 sharp!!!!

"You butter sock," I grumbled, as I erased my previous text and started a new message. Unsurprisingly, another text interrupted halfway through my second word.

First world problems: slow texters vs impatient sisters.

From: Jessica

you better not be talking shit behind my back -_-