3. An unexpected meeting

~2 months later~

It's going well. I have two jobs now. One at the club and one at a small bakery, where I went for a job interview when I had earned just enough money to buy me decent clothes that wouldn't repell any employer immediately.

Now, I am earning more and I was able to rent an apartment and not sleep outside anymore. It is one small room with run down walls and a matress I found in a dumpster, but it is just fine for me. It reminds me of my cell in the pack house sometimes but I decided to keep that thought out of my head in the future. I can't afford to lose sleep over this because I need enough energy to work.

I also decided to keep that constant feeling of loneliness in the far back of my mind. It was creeping up on me all the time and I need to stay focused on making things better for me and not dream of things that will never happen... my alpha told me that I would never have a mate. That Omegas weren't good enough for mates and that they should live with their eyes lowered to serve the lives of worthy people.

It always made me sad because I saw so many people being so incredibly happy with their mate and just a hug seemed like the world to me. The only hug I ever got was from Julia and my parents when I was a baby, which I don't remember. 

I will just have to cherish what I have instead. I will trust myself and no one else. I've been deceived too many times and always got disappointed. But that is going to end now. Things are looking up for me!

I'm currently sitting on my old matress, staring off into space.
Time to get up and face the day, Aiden. Let's go! I have a feeling today's gonna be good.

I smile slightly. You say that every morning, Jax.

And I mean it.

I make my way over to my sink and start getting ready for my shift at the bakery. Jonathan, the owner, lets me help with the baking now, since I've proven myself to him a little bit by being on time everyday, doing my job without flaws and baking a bread for him to taste. I know how to do things right.

I've had years to train and was always reminded of flaws in my cooking, cleaning, grooming or behavior. Especially Alpha Terrance made sure I did everything to his satisfaction, which wasn't achievable, proven by the slowly fading marks and scars on my body.  

The way to the bakery isn't very long. I walk for about fifteen minutes until I am standing  in front of the nice old shop with yellow frames. I enter and go straight to the back where I wash my hands, get my apron and a hairnet (I'm not trying to repeat the incident in the pack house) and take a look at the clock. 5am. Perfect timing! Let's get to work.

~ 8 hours later~

I just finished my shift and I'm just heading out the door and say goodbye to Jonathan. "Bye kid, take care" he says as I close the door behind me.

Great! I've got some time to kill before my shift at the club starts. We're cleaning the whole thing today, a weekly thing to get the establishment up to a better level than it has been under the terrible management of George, as Josephine put it.

I decide to go to the public library. I always try to read to improve my vocabulary because if you can speak and write in a certain manner, then you can accomplish anything in the modern world. That's what my dad wrote me in a letter that he instructed me to open on my 12th birthday, as he was not there to talk to me himself anymore.

Besides, the library is peaceful and quiet, something I enjoy to balance out the hours I spend in the club with all my senses on complete overload. Not to mention the heating in the library is a very merciful thing for my frail body, as I can only afford the bills for water, not heating, and it is getting colder, now that it is November.