Chapter X

Amana's POV

I did not sleep that well last night. How could I, when I had broken our hearts and had no idea what was to happen to us? What this vile group of people was to do with us?

The clouds were slightly present in the sky, shading the sun's rays here and there. Roland had not talked to me ever since, keeping to himself. I couldn't blame him for not wanting to talk to me. I had to say it. We weren't living in a fairytale or story.

Kaj suddenly came into the room, a huge smile on his face. He walked towards me, not breaking eye contact. Crouching down in front of me, he held my cheek in a very affectionate way, one that would've melted me if it came from the one I loved. I shook my head out of his hand, looking away in disgust.

"You can't keep doing this, Amana. Whether you want me or not, you will be mine. You always have been. I have seen you most of the time in the forests, high up in trees or by the river. You know very well that you belong in the wild, where there are no rules, no civilization, just wilderness and freedom! You are a savage! Just like me. We are meant to be."

I just looked down, because I'd just realized that he meant that Roland and I could never be together. At least I wasn't the only one who saw it.

"What will you do with me, then? You have a wife now. What about me?", Roland said with a deep snarly voice that I had never heard before. He seemed.........angry and hurt.

"Don't worry yourself, white man. The pirates will take care of you."

My eyes widened, finally realising that those he ran away from finally had him. I wanted nothing more than to keep us safe and away from these menacing men.

Kaj left, and we were now alone. I could feel the emotion hanging in the air, making me squirm around where I was seated. Roland usually greeted me, but he was quiet today. He had never said a single word to me, and I couldn't help but feel hurt by the idea of him not caring anymore.

Then, two burly men came in and took us out. The lighting was too bright outside, so I had to squint my eyes to give them time to adjust. I looked around, and I saw Roland being led by another man out of the hut.

He looked like a shell of his former self. His hair was everywhere, eyes were swollen, clothes were wrinkled up. He only looked at me for a short while before he turned away, his face not betraying any emotion he felt. I looked to the side as well, and decided that this was for the best, even though my heart physically broke apart in my chest.

We were led down a path for a few hours, barely resting on our journey. As we kept on walking, the sounds of the waves got louder.

We were going to the coast, but, for what reason?

My question was suddenly answered when in front of us stood a large ship, a few feet from the shore and a little boat to that ship the only mode of transportation present. A pirate was standing close to the trees, looking up when we got to him. He looked down and smiled at us.

"I have seen that you have kept your end of the bargain, Kaj. You did well."

Kaj seemed to beam at the compliment, and I could not help but roll my eyes and look away. I suddenly felt a tight grip on my chin and I was suddenly looking into the hard blue eyes of the pirate, and I hardened mine as well, so that he could see that I wasn't afraid of him. He turned my head around side to side, searching for something, I would guess. He then smiled, and looked away.

"She is a pretty one, Kaj."

"She is, isn't she?"

The man let go of me, and went to Roland. He then stood in front of Roland, held him by the hair and pulled his head up.

"Oh, viscount......... it's time for us to go. They better have what I ask for, or else you will not get to see another day when the time comes."

My eyes widened in horror when Roland was suddenly pushed to the ground, and was given a sharp kick to his side, on his ribs. I began to run to him, but Kaj took a hold of me and pulled me to him, keeping my body from what it wanted to do; take care of those I loved. I cried out to be released while I kept on fighting.

He received another blow to the stomach and he hunched forward on the ground, groaning in pain. Tears involuntarily slipped from my eyes while the men around us were laughing.

"Take him to the boat! Remember, keep 'im alive. Ruffle him up if it pleases you."

The yellow and black toothed smiles from the men promised future torture for Roland, and I could not help but feel the pain right then at that moment. Holding onto his hands, they dragged him to the boat.

When they had gotten him in, the pirate that had hit him got into the boat at well, and the boat was being rowed to the ship. When they were far off, Kaj turned to us, then looked at me with a huge triumphant smile on his face.

"Twende. Nataka kuwa na mke wangu leo ​​usiku." (Let's go. I want to be with my wife tonight.)

**************

As we walked back, I could not help but think about him. He was actually gone. I would never see him again. Who knows if those men won't kill him? Tears welled up in my eyes, which I would quickly wipe off before they got worse.

The sun was finally setting, and the day was almost brought to a close when something amazing happened. The troop was walking in a single line, one in front of the other, when there was a sudden cry that came from above us. A huge smile crossed my lips when many warriors descended from the trees above and surrounded us.

Kaj's men, including their leader, were shocked for a second before they began to act. People fought hither and thither, making sure that any enemy they saw was killed, and Kaj's men were soon defeated, while others had run away.

Lakeisha came to me , and gave me a strong and comforting hug, one that reminded me of Roland, and that was when I broke down. I let them loose, the tears that I had been trying to hold in.

😶😶😶😶😶😶