Chapter V

Amana's POV

The rebels that had attacked our neighboring tribe had been defeated. Some of our men were killed during the war, and we had a three day memorial for them, visiting the families of the deceased and helping them in any way we could as a tribe.

There was a time when I had been assigned to go to a household and go and announce the news. Since I was in charge of taking care of Roland, I had to go with him. The woman and her two young boys cried so hard that I couldn't help but wipe a few tears of my own. This family was a newly growing one, the father who had died was still young. I told them that when the warriors went out, we'd catch some tiny game for them to eat.

As we left the place, I could feel Roland's gaze on me, but I didn't pay him any attention. I had shown a side that very few people had seen, so I was not shocked that he might be shocked by such a reaction from me.

After the days had passed, there was a great commotion in the tribe. The maidservants of the chief ran hither and thither, rushing to make the arrangements for the feast that was to be held, in honour of the warriors who fought in the war, whether dead or alive.

Manservants killed the cows and also hunted for game. After their catch, they'd skin the animals and cut them up. The women would take over from there.

When the warriors walked in the pathways, they were greeted by people with such gusto, you'd just smile at the look on the warriors' faces. They beamed with pride, and I, myself, was proud of them indeed. A special attire for the warriors was available for such an occasion, and I was donned in mine as well, even though I wasn't there during the fight.

I had gone to Roland's hut tonight, because the warrior who was supposed to be there wanted to celebrate with his friends who'd returned, and I'd agreed to it.

He was wearing that which was worn by royalty. A purple robe and black sandals. He had a red hat on, which almost covered his jet black hair. He smiled when I got in and I cast a small smile his way.

"Well....."

He turned around twice, his smile getting bigger and bigger as he did.

"... What do you think? Do I look ok? Do you like how I look?"

I was still wondering how he could look good in this. I had never seen a white man wear it, and I had thought it a crazy thing for that to happen. But, here I was, looking at one who looked even better than the black man in it.

"I'll take your silence as a yes! That's good then. Let's go, shall we?"

I quickly replied, so as to not make myself look like a dunce.

"Yes. Let's go."

He then looked at me, before we were to leave. His gaze pinned me to the spot. All I wanted at that time was to get out of the large hut that seemed small now.

"You look very beautiful tonight, Amana."

I didn't know what to say to that, so I did the only thing that made sense in my mind. Nod.

He just laughed softly, then held onto my hand and led me out of the hut. We walked in silence to the meeting ground, where all the tribe members were present. He sat next to the chief and I stood next to him. A bright fire had been set ablaze, and the dark smoke rose into the still night's air. Drums were being played, and children were running about, some were dancing about in tune with the beat of the drums. After a while, the drums suddenly stopped playing.

Enzi, the warriors' leader, stood up and addressed his people. He was wearing the same wear as I was, but meant for the males.

""Usiku wa leo, tunasherehekea wanaume wetu hodari ambao walikwenda na kupigana kati yetu wenyewe. Tunatoa pongezi kwa kujitolea kwao kwa familia zao. Salamu zangu za pole ni kwa wale waliopoteza wale waliowapenda, lakini fahamu." (Tonight, we celebrate our brave men who went and fought among our own. We give tribute to the sacrifice they did for their families. My deepest condolences to those who lost whom they loved, but know that they are at peace, because they died in honour, and not shame. Tonight, let's drink. Let's live. Let's celebrate!)