Chapter 6 - Dancing at Midnight

It was early evening on Christmas Eve, and Beth found herself in a stylist's chair in the upstairs parlor. She was sipping on peppermint tea and trying to calm her nerves. She never attended a party like this in her life and she was afraid she would say or do something that would embarrass Vika and Henry. Genevieve was in the chair next to her sipping her own cup of tea and trying to talk Beth down from a full blown panic attack.

"You'll be fine, trust me! You won't need to remember anyone's name, you will probably never see them again."

"Uhh. I know, I hate crowds and you know I've never been to anything like this. Please, just walk me through it again?"

"Okay, once we are done here, there will be photographs with family and close friends or colleagues of my parents."

"How many people?"

"I don't know, maybe ten or twelve? Anyway, once the rest of the guests start to arrive, we will stand in a receiving line. People will walk down and shake our hands and say hello. It's really no big deal and no one will expect you to know or remember names. It's terribly old fashioned and I don't know why we do it but mum insists."

"And how many people are expected again?

"Around 60 or so." Gen watched Beth blanch under her makeup, "I promise I won't leave you alone. Unless you want to be left alone." She winked at her.

Beth glared at her, "You leave me and I'll put sand in your sheets again."

Gen laughed at the memory of the prank. "Don't you dare! I was washing sand out of my bed for weeks after that. Moving on, after everyone has gone through the line, then we mingle. Then dinner will be announced. When we're finished, we go out into the garden for dancing. Then we can relax and party."

Beth took a deep breath and winced as the stylist pulled her hair again. Vika poked her head into the parlor, "Girls, you should be finishing up, the first of the guests are due to arrive soon."

Beth's stylist said, "Voila! A masterpiece!"

She looked in the mirror and she had to admit her hair was beautifully styled in some sort of half up half down, braid and curls. She was wearing more makeup than she ever had before and was even wearing false eyelashes!  Quickly they both went to change into their gowns and met at the top of the stairs.

"We look fabulous! Nicky is going to lose the power of speech when he sees you!"

"What? No! We're just friends. He just broke up with Elladine, he's not ready to date again."

"I don't think so. You should see the way he was looking at you at the karaoke night. Plus he did sing to you and haven't you two been texting ever since?"

"What about you? Jake is going to lose his mind when he sees you! He might even propose on the spot." Gen blushed deep red at that.

Beth loved seeing her friend so besotted.

"We haven't even said the big words yet."

Beth laughed, "Well I bet you anything, you'll hear them tonight. In fact, I'll put money on it!"

"You'd bet on my love life? That's so sad, but I hope you're right. He's the one. I love him so much, he's everything I've ever wanted." She bit her lip, "I might even say it to him first!"

The girls giggled as they walked downstairs, Vika sighed at the picture they made. Both were so beautiful, she almost got misty eyed. "Girls, you look lovely. It was worth the wait."

Henry walked over and kissed both girls on the forehead, "My girls, you've grown into such beautiful women inside and out. I'm so proud of you both."