Chapter 5 - Twas the Night Before Christmas...

Gen was feeling melancholy as she finished updating patient files. It was her last day with Dr. Weston and the staff had thrown her a going away party, that included, to her amusement, a dog bone shaped cake. She would miss them all but was so excited to finally start her own practice. The hit and run dog was recovering well. Her injuries weren't as severe as Gen feared. She had some abrasions from being rubbed on the pavement, and a broken back leg that would take time to heal, but overall, she was very healthy. The dog, a mix of beagle and basset hound, was no older than two years but small for her age. She was slightly emaciated which told Gen that she had been on her own for quite some time. She wasn't microchipped and no one had reported her missing.

Gen had fallen in love with her immediately and named her Holly for Christmas. She quickly decided that she was keeping her, since she didn't have the heart to turn her over to the shelter. She knew her mother's stance on pets, but she would be moving into the flat above her shop soon, and would be able to spend more time with her. Holly pawed her leg and when Gen looked down her tail wagged gently. She picked her up and placed the dog in her lap for a cuddle while she finished up. When her phone chimed with an incoming text, butterflies tickled her stomach:

  When her phone chimed with an incoming text, butterflies tickled her stomach:

She looked down at a squirming puppy in her lap, "Need to go outside?"  Holly wiggled and tried to lick her face

She looked down at a squirming puppy in her lap, "Need to go outside?" Holly wiggled and tried to lick her face. Gen laughed, "No jumping! Come on baby." She set her on the floor and got her leash from the wall. She took Holly out back and let her do her business. She repeated the process with the other dogs and shut down the computer and locked up for the last time.