Hey There, Delilah (10)

"Stupid suitcase," I huffed, trying to yank my suitcase out the door. Rex rolled his eyes, taking the handle and smoothly pulling it out from the doorway. I blinked, giving him a flat look. He smirked, rolling my suitcase down the hallway without giving it back to me. I was about to take the suitcase back from him when I noticed something flapping on my door from the breeze.

 With my blood running cold, I reached out and plucked the piece of paper off of my door. My eyes widened as I read the note, my breath shaking.

        Hey There, Delilah,

        How do you like New York so far? I heard that you're going back to Washington. That's great, but I won't be able to see you. But I hope you have fun with you friends.

I almost dropped the note back onto the ground, but I ran as quickly as I could back into my room and slid onto my knees, lifting my comforter off of the ground and pulling out the box full of notes. I shoved it into the box and let out a frustrated breath. What was so fascinating about me? I wasn't that special!

This one was different from the last one; it was neater and wasn't signed. The writer was actually kind of familiar, but I still couldn't place it. I sighed, just thinking that he was probably switching it up, unlike my old stalker. It was pretty much the same thing with him every time he gave me a note.

"Are you coming, or what?" I heard, causing me to jump. I looked over to see River chuckling in the doorway, but he frowned when he saw that I was on the ground. "Are you okay?" he asked, taking a step toward me.

"I--I'm fine!" I stuttered, moving away from him a little. I got up hesitantly, glancing at my comforter that luckily covered the box.

River's eyebrows furrowed slightly, as if he didn't believe me. I smiled, letting out a nervous chuckle. He gave me another strange look, but turned back toward the door and made his way out. I let out a sigh of relief, following him out.

"What car are we taking?" I asked, falling into step with him. He shrugged, shoving his hands into his pockets. My mouth gaped open slightly for a moment when I realized that he wasn't in his school uniform, and that this was the first time I had ever seen him out of it.

"Take a picture, it lasts longer," River informed me with a small smirk, and I felt my cheeks heat up when I realized I had been staring.

"S--sorry," I stuttered. "I just realized that you weren't wearing your uniform."

"You aren't either."

"Yeah, well... yeah."

River shrugged once again, and I used this time to study his outfit. His shirt was long sleeved and black, which matched his black skinny jeans, which matched his black Vans. Everything he was wearing was black, which went with his hair. He looked incredibly emo, but good at the same time. River smirked once again, obviously noticing that I was staring once again. He didn't say anything this time, though.

"Anyway..." I started, not knowing what to say at all. "Is everyone ready?"

"Everyone's ready."

"Oh... Okay. That's good..." An awkward silence then filled the air, making me feel uncomfortable. River didn't seem bothered by it at all though; he just continued walking next to me like everything was normal. Was he not bothered by awkward silence?

I hate silence. Especially when it's awkward. But who likes awkward silences? Maybe River does...

"You two are so slow!" Rex announced once River and I got outside. "We're going to miss our flight if you guys keep going this slowly!"