Hey There, Delilah (32)

For the record, I hate when the boys talk me into something.

Especially Rex.

I hated it, hated it, when Rex talked me into something that I really didn’t want to do.

He always managed to somehow do it, and I didn’t even know how. It was like he had some kind of magical power or something.

But I just hated it when he talked me into something.

Which was happening right then.

I stared at Rex flatly, biting the inside of my lip. “It sounds boring.”

“No it doesn’t!”

“Yes, it does,” I sighed, shaking my head and stabbing another piece of lettuce in my salad before popping it into my mouth. It always seemed to be lunch when we conversed these types of things. I never really knew why. “It sounds super boring.”

“It’s a fair!” Rex announced again, almost jumping out of his seat. “Fairs are always fun! It only comes once a year, and this is the first time you’re here for it! It’s always really fun! There’s roller coasters, which is my favorite, games, which is Seth’s favorite, and a huge ferris wheel, which is River’s favorite! It’s so cool because it’s built, like, around a forest or something, which gives the haunted house and even better appeal. So we’d be surrounded by trees in the forest. It’s always really fun!”

“It’s not fun to me,” I shrugged, taking another bite out of my salad again. “I never liked fairs, ever since I was little. There’s always cheesy games and stupid little attractions… I could never stand the house of mirrors. It always terrified me. And haunted house? No way in hell.”

“You don’t even have to go to the haunted house!” Rex laughed, resulting in me kicking him from under the table. That didn’t stop him, though, and he just continued laughing on.

I really didn’t see the appeal of fairs or carnivals. It was just a bunch of fried food and games that were impossible to win. Not to mention that everything there was portable, and usually sloppily built. So it didn’t exactly sound very fun and exciting to me. More like dangerous.

“You have to go,” Rex continued. “We always go, and it wouldn’t be the same or fun without you! You’re the fourth amigo!”

“The fourth amigo?” I questioned, an eyebrow raising as well.

“Yeah, there’s four of us,” Rex explained, hooking an arm around Seth’s shoulders before getting a look of annoyance and swatted away by him. I rolled my eyes, going back to my salad. I didn’t want to go to some stupid fair. It sounded, well, stupid.

“But it’s always a tradition that we go,” Rex complained, kicking me from under the table, but I could tell that he was trying not to kick me too hard so he wouldn’t hurt me. “Ever since the three of us met, we always went. And now that you’re with us, you have to come along, too!”

“No,” I repeated.

“Come on, Delilah,” the smooth voice that always made me melt said to my right. “It’s just one night. And it is a tradition.”

“See?” Rex exclaimed. “Your boyfriend wants to go, so you have to, too!”

I really didn’t want to admit the main reason why I didn’t want to go. I knew that if I did, Seth and Rex would laugh at me, and River would do his best and try not to. But it was such a childish reason that I wouldn’t have been surprised if they laughed.

Ferris wheels.

I was absolutely terrified of ferris wheels.

They were just… evil.