Chapter 15 and 16

Chapter15

Delilah

We'd been at sanctuary for about three weeks, it had been pretty hard to adjust. Zachary seemed to be struggling more than the rest of us, he couldn't get used to the rules and safety. He kept waking up in the night clutching his knife, Casey also found it hard. She was still dealing with the death of her sister, none of us could console her. All we could do was keep her away from Maggie, Nikkita's death only added to our grief. We all missed her, me more than anyone. I'd never told Nikkita, but I loved her. I kept it quiet, because I knew she hadn't felt the same.

I got out of the bed that I shared with Casey, nothing was going on but there wasn't enough room for all of us. Zachary and Anthony shared a bedroom, as did Yasmin and Brian. Xandra and her sister Wendy had room to themselves while I was stuck with Casey. We'd always got on, but it seemed that her grief was more important than mine. I hadn't seen Frankie since she'd gotten back, but I thought now that I should go and see her. I didn't know how much of the last five years Nikkita had shared with Frankie, but I wanted to tell her. If anyone could understand my grief it was Frankie.

'I'm going to see Frankie,' I told Casey.

'Okay,' she murmured sleepily.

Everyone else was still asleep when I left, good, I thought. The last thing I needed was for them to give me stick over going to see Frankie, which I knew they would. Zachary especially, he'd been hard on me about Nikkita. I needed to get over it, we had more important things to deal with, he'd said. I walked over to where Frankie was living, one thing I loved about this place was the normalcy about it. People walked freely, they laughed and enjoyed life. Everyone had jobs, whether it was cooking for everyone, tending to the animals or training people to fight. I felt nervous knocking on Frankie's door, it was Jade who answered.

'Is Frankie in?' I asked nervously.

'Yeah, do you want to come in?' She asked.

'Sure, any chance I could have a few minutes alone with her,' I replied nervously.

'No problem,' she smiled, 'come on you lot, I need your help with something,' she called to her people.

Everyone came downstairs including Frankie, she smiled shyly when she saw me.

'Not you Frankie, you've got a visitor.'

I sat down on the sofa as the others said goodbye, I could tell Frankie was just as nervous as I was.

'So what's up?' She asked quietly.

'I wanted to talk to you about Nikkita,' I said taking a deep breath.

I knew that talking about her would be hard on Frankie, but I felt that it would be good for both of us. I for one needed to talk to someone who understood what I was going through, my friends had been helpful or understanding, I guess they all had their own shit to deal with. I sat next to her on the sofa, not knowing what to say.

'I know you loved her too,' she told me gently.

'Am I that transparent?' I asked laughing.

'No, I'm just good at reading people. I knew it when you first arrived, but neither you or Nikkita said anything.'

'She wasn't one for airing her private life, in the years I'd known her she wouldn't even tell us much about you. We just knew your name and the fact that she was still madly in love with you. Not only that, I never told her how I felt because I knew she didn't feel the same.'

'That sounds like her, you know she never did tell me what happened to her in the years since the outbreak. I mean, I know about her dad and how she met all of you, but I sensed there were things she wasn't ready to talk about,' Frankie replied.