The Entrapment

"Yeobo, she's over there." Hye-ji's whisper was not so much done in confidentiality especially with the way she yanked her husband's arm when he was going the opposite direction. She pointed at the intended target seated by one of the window tables of the hotel cafe. Despite it being bright outside, the woman did not wear her sunglasses.

Nor did she pretend to ignore their presence altogether, Se-ri turned to the couple and waved, as against simply staying put and busying herself with her phone or with the menu while waiting for them.

With the sunlight shining from the window, Se-ri radiated in a strapless white dress that she covered with a white embroidered-wrapped top tied around her waist, all from the Chanel cruise collection that Hye-ji would recall premiered at a Mediterranean-themed fashion show in Capri just a few months ago. Hye-ji's eyes lingered on Se-ri's drop earrings and the sizable stone on her right ring finger, her mind making seven to eight-digit calculations.

"You're here." Se-joon eased into the chair right across his half-sister with Hye-ji taking his right. "You could have called me up rather than leave a note at the hotel."

"I thought it was easier since I don't have your numbers." Se-ri explained and without letting her brother interject about saving his contact, she continued. "Thank you for taking some time off to meet me. I wanted to talk to you about a few things. Do you want to order breakfast first?"

It was rare that Se-ri actually began the day with a word of thanks, not after the dismissive treatment she had demonstrated in their first days. To break their stupor, Se-ri requested for the menu and handed it over to them. She spoke in perfect Swiss German too and asked for tea.

Orders collected, Se-ri continued, "The opening event was a lot of pressure and looking back to that time, I was short on you both. I'm sorry."

"Ya, Se-ri you are scaring me." Se-joon interrupted, "What's this about?" Hye-ji studied Se-ri's expression as one would search an egg for cracks,

"Hm?" Se-ri raised both eyebrows, facing them both, "I said what I said. So I was thinking, you two should really be more involved because I want you two to see who you are helping through the scholarship. You are right, you need to know where the money is going. So from now on I really want to encourage your participation. You can call Emilie so she can reserve your seats on your preferred events. I also think...you should make the concluding remarks."

"What?" Se-joon's jaw dropped.

"On the last day?" Hye-ji asked to confirm their joint disbelief.

"Yes, correct." Se-ri smiled, "I have a speech prepared that I can give to you. You don't have to use it word-for-word but it's specially prepared so it should have everything you need."

"But you said it yourself, there can't be last-minute changes." Hye-ji could vividly remember how Se-ri reacted violently at the airport.

"Yes, I said that." Se-ri nodded as her teapot arrived, "As I told you, I was taken by surprise but now that I thought about it. It would be good if the foundation could hear from you speak on behalf of Queens Group."

Hye-ji clutched at her husband's arm, her eyes sparkling and her grin widening. Her overactive imagination was probably playing the speech in her head, how sharp her husband would appear and the applause that followed.The photos, the news features, the prestige...

Se-joon was still not entirely convinced with all the opportunities handed to them on a silver plate, by his sister no less. "I'm not used to you being so generous."

"What do you mean?" Se-ri poured herself a cup, "I've always been generous. That is the point of the scholarship. I do want to ask your help on something."