House of Cards

Food poisoning.

Se-ri thought back to the previous day when she encouraged Dong-il to eat anything and everything that he desired. Was she so reckless with that? Did she put him in danger?

What if it was bad? The music foundation festival should be well under way as the participants begin their lectures and rehearsals for their respective musical specialties, culminating with their recitals. Dong-il was due to perform the next day. That was his only time to rehearse.

What if news spreads about it? What if it reaches Ja-rang?

Se-ri was turning the ring on her finger as she paced about, telling herself to get a grip and take one problem at a time. She needed to hear from Jeong-hyeok about the situation in the room first.

The message Se-ri dreaded to receive eventually came in, Jeong-hyeok decided to send him to the clinic. Se-ri had the car ready by the time they came down with Dong-il dangling on Jeong-hyeok like a human crutch.

Dong-il's face was streaked with tears, he was complaining about a pain in his abdomen so bad that there seemed to be no end to it. He was wailing throughout the ride that Se-ri feared he was dealing with something far worse than a stomach ache. Jeong-hyeok had been trying to be the voice of reason with calming words but Dong-il was deep into the well of his pain.

"Tae Dong-il," Jeong-hyeok said finally in the voice he uses to make an authoritative command, "You won't die from a stomach ache. Yes it's painful, but it will go away. The doctors will take care of you. You need to help yourself and breathe, understand?"

Dong-il whimpered but also he tried to smother his own wracking sobs. Jeong-hyeok gave him his own handkerchief to wipe his face.

Se-ri felt so helpless behind the wheel but the best she could do was drive on and let Jeong-hyeok do the work and that was to carry him to the clinic and accompany him at his bedside while Se-ri parked the car and waited outside the ward. She agonized whether she should report this as an incident but decided to wait for the doctor's findings. The only other person who knew about the situation was Dong-il's coach.

Se-ri was not new to waiting at a medical institution, it did not make it any less nerve-wracking. While the first one was a life-and-death situation of that one person she realized she cared so much about, this one with Dong-il presented risks that could turn out badly as far as the scholarship goes. Negative press was just the least of it, what if something was truly wrong with Dong-il and what if his home country decides to stop participating altogether?

All these harrowing thoughts filled Se-ri's head as she sat in the hallway. It would be all her fault, what if she never sees Jeong-hyeok again? What was she going to do?

She planned everything to perfection but it seemed all she built was a house of cards.

Approaching footsteps had her looking up and standing, "How is he? Is he going to be okay?"

With a small smile, Jeong-hyeok nodded as relief spread fast throughout Se-ri's body, her knees nearly giving out.

"The doctor said it's indigestion, not food poisoning." Jeong-hyeok expelled a breath long suppressed, "He ate too much too fast and it didn't help that he had a panic attack. The worst is over now, the doctor gave him antacids and he's just resting."

"Oh what a relief! I was so scared." Se-ri exclaimed, clutching her hands to her chest, "He can leave today?"

"By noon, Dong-il already requested to have his practice." Jeong-hyeok took Se-ri's hand and ushered her to sit down with him. "Do you want me to get you a drink?"