The Magic Hour

Video # 1
Thumbnail: Christmas Tree

Se-ri sits on the orange couch of her apartment, her hair kept in a loose bun. She waves at the front camera, "Do you see it?" She turns the camera so she could show the twinkling Christmas tree keeping her company in her spacious living room. "I set it up just now all by myself. I spent a long time untangling the lights. You're the first person I've shown this to, technically...let me show you something." The camera shakes as she stands up and goes over to the tree. And there hanging among the plastic leaves was a brown upright piano ornament that she held up to the camera. "It looks exactly the same as your piano in your home. Isn't it cute? It's the only one in stock, it's meant for me." The camera goes back up to her face and she minds the few strands of hair plastered on her forehead, "It's Christmas in a few days. I'm having a small dinner. Eomma is coming over. I wish you are, too. I miss you and...I hope you are keeping warm and..." She seems to be thinking of something else to say but instead nods and waves again, tapping the video off.

Video # 2
Thumbnail: Sunrise at the beach

An orange-tinged purple sky with waves crashing on the shore. Se-ri speaks from the back. "It's the first sunrise of the year. It's beautiful...I wonder what this year will have in store for us? Happy new year, Ri Jeong-hyeok ssi. See you soon."

Video # 3
Thumbnail: Birthday cake

Se-ri's office, her team gathered around, clapping their hands in unison and singing a birthday song. Manager Hong leading the group and presenting an ornate three-layer letter cake, Se-ri's English initials 'SY' topped with flowers and macarons. Se-ri in the background gushing, "It's beautiful!" The camera zooms in on the cake and the candles are blown off with the staff cheering and Se-ri, behind the camera, bowing and thanking everyone. She later asks someone to hold her phone so she could pose with the cake. She says, "Wish you were here!" while waving before the video ends. The part where her managers ask her if she was talking to someone in particular in the video was not recorded.

Video # 4
Thumbnail: Another birthday cake

Se-ri at home with a party hat and a smaller cake topped with strawberries cut into roses and a lone candle. "Ri Jeong-hyeok ssi, it's your birthday so I got you this cake. Ta-da" Her hands present it. "Do you like it? It's strawberry shortcake, I ordered this a month ago because they sell out quickly, especially for today. Today was hectic, I sent the staff home early because they have dates and so they can avoid the traffic. As for me, I treated myself to some noodles and now I'm singing you a birthday song." She clears her throat and sings the first lines, laughing to herself at the silliness of doing so alone. But she continues on with gusto with hands clapping, a solo version of what her office staff sang weeks ago, with no audience but herself and the camera. But towards the end when she changes the lyric to "Happy birthday, Ri Jeong Hyeok ssi." Her voice cracks with emotion. She salvages it by singing the last line louder, "Happy birthday to you!" She makes an applause, completing her one-woman show. "Now I'll make a wish for you...which I'm keeping to myself." She closes her eyes and clasps her hands together for a few seconds. Then she blows out the candle and claps again. "Be healthy and safe until we meet again." She waves before reaching to stop the recording.

Video # 5
Thumbnail: Spring, a park lined by cherry blossom trees.

Se-ri and Jeong-hyeok tread those paths before but the trees were still dead back then. In the recording, they flourished and flushed pink and white. The video cuts to someone playing the piano underneath the trees. Vivaldi.

Video # 6
Thumbnail: Old Montreal, Canada.

Cobblestone roads lined with lamps, centuries-old buildings coexist with modern boutiques and bistros. The imposing Notre Dame Basilica with the flag-bearing Maisonneuve Monument.

Video # 7
Thumbnail: Restaurant

Nighttime, inside a restaurant with yellow curtains, globe lamps. Se-ri narrates, "Team Seri's choice is celebrating after a successful store opening in Montreal and we are enjoying dinner now. Drinks up, everyone." The staff raise their glasses and cheer across the rectangular table. Manager Hong couldn't help but ask, "Daepyonim, do you have a secret sns account we should know of?"

"No. Why do you ask?" The camera is focused on Manager Hong.

"We are wondering why you are taking all these videos, like a documentary."

"Why? I just feel like it, something to watch later. This is a special event, isn't it?"

The video ends with a toast and Se-ri raising her own wine glass to the camera.