Chapter VIII - An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away...

Author’s Note

Author’s note is at the end of the chapter today.  :)

Chapter VIII

For the rest of the day, I don’t really do much.  Basically, I just watch TV, munch on some freshly picked out of the hospital's refrigerator apples and sleep.  Productive right?  At around six I start to hear a lot of commotion coming from the main rooms.  I sit up and try to hear what’s going on.  I can hear Sheriff Swan’s voice above the rest, sounding urgent and stressed out.  I can hear Dr. Whale’s voice also, trying to calm her down.

“Do something!”  I hear her shout.  I try and get up to go see what’s going on but the pain in my head refuses to let me.  Sighing, I lie back down and decide to take another nap.

*

“You look so beautiful!” Justine squeals as she adjusts my dress.  I look down at myself, at the vintage patterned lace covering every inch of my dress.  It was Victor’s mother’s dress that she wore on her wedding day and after all these years, it still glows with the same beauty that it had in her wedding photos.  “Are you ready for this?” Justine asks, folding my veil over my face.

“I think so,” I smile, playing with the loose string hanging on my left sleeve.  Justine notices and a look of horror spreads upon her face.

“Oh Elizabeth!  You’re supposed to be walking down the aisle in five minutes!” she says grabbing my wrist, “I’ll go see if anyone has something I can fix this with,” she says, turning to go.

“Wait Justine!” I call out before she gets too far.  She hurries back over by me, ready to argue but I stop her.  I take the pin holding her corsage in place and use it to tuck the piece of thread into the inside of the sleeve.

“A little trick I learned when I was younger,” I smile, but it soon disappears.  How did I remember that I learned this when I was younger?  I sit down and start to feel a little lightheaded as a distant memory tries to break through the barrier of the drink that led me to forget everything from my life in the Enchanted Forest to my sister Elizabeth.  I shoot up out of my seat.  I’m starting to remember things!  My heart races as I start to picture my childhood.  My memories are chronologically coming back from my child years to my older years! 

In the midst of everything, there’s a knock on the door.  I brush my thoughts aside and hope that everything will find its way back soon enough.  Justine opens the door to Alphonse standing there with a huge grin on his face.  I asked him a while back if he would be the one to walk me down the aisle and he happily accepted, and he really takes his job seriously since he knows I don’t have my father here to walk me down himself.  Alphonse has always acted as a father to me anyways so it all works out fine.

“Are you ready dear?” he asks, still smiling.

I take a deep breath and take his arm, “Yes,” I exhale, smiling.  I can’t believe I’m actually getting married!  I’ve been waiting my whole life for this moment.  The music starts and I can hear the creaking of wood as the congregation stands for my entrance.  I close my eyes, taking in the moment.  I let my feet do the walking as I focus on each of my senses individually.  The sound of the organ playing the Bridal Chorus, the smell of the little white flowers in my hands arranged into a lovely bouquet.  I can feel the cheerful atmosphere of the guests all around me.  All of a sudden, Alphonse stops walking and I stumble forward a little before I realize that we’ve reached the front of the church.

I open my eyes to see Victor smiling in front of me.  I glance to the guests and see a couple hundred people staring back at me, all smiles.  I know very few of the guests, but it gives me a nice feeling to know that they came for us.  Victor even brought his monster to the ceremony.  I gave him the nickname Frankie a while back; I think he likes it better than being called somebody’s monster.  He’s just sitting in the back, smiling, playing with a square of fabric.  I sigh in contentment.  Everything is just going so perfectly.