Chapter IV - The Iron Gate

Author's Note

I'm dedicating this chapter to MusicIsMyRemedy73 because she dedicated one of her chapters to me in her Once Upon A Time fan-fiction called Our Version of Wonderland, the sequel to Uncovering the Past.  She is a really great writer and while I'm still not finished with Uncovering the Past, it's definitely an amazing book.  So thank you so much for your dedication!  Please vote and comment if you feel inspired to!

Chapter IV

Jefferson starts slowing the car down and all I can see out my window is an enormous house.  Whoever lives there must be quite significant to this small town to have a house like that.  Then when Jefferson turns into the mansion's driveway, I literally drop my jaw in awe.

"This is your house?" I ask, unable to take my eyes off the beautiful architecture.

"Yep," he answers.

"Who else do you live with?" I ask.

"Nobody, it's just me," he says pulling in.  I step out of the car and Jefferson walks me up the stairs and into the house.  "Do you like tea?" he asks when he takes my coat.

"I've actually never had any before aside from bottled iced tea and Arnold Palmer," I admit.

"Really?" he laughs, "Well, I'll make some and you can tell me how you like it," he says.

"Sounds good!" I smile.

"Here, I'll show you the living room," he says, placing his hand on my back and guiding me into a room that looks way too nice to be somebody's living room.  I sit down on his large white couch and place one of his red pillows on my lap, looking up at Jefferson.  "Well, I'll make the tea," he says, "Feel free to look around."

"Okay, thanks," I smile.  He turns and walks off in the direction of where the kitchen must be. 

I stand up and decide to take him up on his offer to look around.  I immediately notice a black grand piano sitting in front of a large window.  I smile; playing piano is one of my favorite hobbies.  Does Jefferson play too?  I wonder.  I carefully lift the fallboard and softly play a few chords.  It sounds a lot prettier than the old keyboard I had in my apartment.  In fact, the sound quality doesn't even compare.  I quietly close it and walk to the other side of the room to check out the stuff he has sprawled out on his dining room table.  There is a beautiful centerpiece made of red and white roses; the overhead light bounces softly off their delicate petals, giving them an aura of elegance.  The white porcelain vase holding them has paintings of small mushrooms around the base, an odd feature, but it's kind of fitting, I can't really explain how.

I then notice the antique china cabinet standing up against the wall and I walk over to check it out.  It isn't filled with fancy plates like they usually are, there's just some old teapots and cups.  Most of them are cracked, chipped and worn out overall.  Some are even broken in half.  I study them for a good couple of minutes, wondering what sort of sentimental value they could have to be worth putting on display before I turn around and head back into the living room. 

I take a seat on the couch again before noticing a deck of cards sitting on the coffee table.  I pick them up and open the box, taking the handful of cards out.  I flip through them and notice that all of the cards are the same suit, hearts, only half were red and half were black.  The familiar joker cards were replaced with rabbit cards.  I wonder what kind of a card game can be played with only one suit?

As I set down the cards, Jefferson walks into the room carrying a tray with a teapot, a couple of teacups, bread, and jam.

"Ready to try your first ever cup of real tea?" he asks setting the tray down gently on the coffee table.