23

I open all the windows and burn several candles throughout the condo before Adam arrives for the night shift. Not that I'm trying to keep secrets—more like trying to avoid a confrontation that I don't have time for.

Gabe and I kept our distance from one another for the rest of the day and barely spoke. I believe the kitchen situation left us both on edge with unspoken questions hanging in the air—questions that I don't have time for either.

Adam arrived promptly at five-thirty. If he noticed or suspected my reasons for the open windows and candles, he didn't say. Gabe couldn't leave fast enough. He didn't even say good-bye.

Adam arrives carrying a plain white garment bag and places it over a kitchen chair. He is his usual dark, moody self, but as soon as Gabe leaves he appears to relax a bit.

Adam sits down on the sofa and throws one well-muscled arm over the top. Tonight he's wearing faded jeans and a cream-colored Henley shirt that hugs his body and leaves little to the imagination. I have to make a conscious effort not to ogle him.

Maybe I'm trying too hard. What would happen if I openly studied him whenever I felt like it? A little reverse psychology may turn the tables with him—giving me the upper hand.

Problem is, whenever I look at him I can't help but remember that kiss, or other moments when we've been glued to one another for various reasons. And just like that I feel guilty, shy, and embarrassed all at once. Admittedly, sometimes he seems to flip a switch in me. He's either pissing me off or turning me on. It's always one extreme or the other with him. Never an easy middle ground.

It's hard to imagine that in the course of a couple of weeks I've gone from being content, if not bored, with my life to...oh crap! My life went from zero to a hundred mph, and the brakes are out.

As I sit in the opposite chair with a novel and a cup of hot tea, I try out my new tactic of staring at Adam over the top of my book.

He seems mildly amused and I give up quickly. Staring at him will only get me into more trouble tonight, and I think I've had enough of that for one day.

My objective tonight will be to convince Adam to help me kill Zac. I know his personal goal is to kill him, but he can't do that and protect me at the same time. But together with Gabe's help we might stand a chance if we plan an offensive move instead of always playing defense.

Before I can bring up my list of reasons why he should help me, he says, "Would you be inclined to accompany me to the opera Friday evening?" I freeze mid-sip, and look at him with my eyebrows raised over my cup.

Did he ask me out on a date? I did not see that coming. I'm both thrilled and worried by the possibility.

I don't know which feelings to trust and which to ignore. I have to say I've enjoyed the extra energy and strength, and the heightened senses, but the emotional aspect has been quite cumbersome.

I've come to terms with the realization that I trust Adam with my life. And there is no escaping the physical attraction we seem to share, but I know that neither of those things mean his feelings go any further than a booty-call. I won't trade hot, steamy moments for my heart.

Once Zac is dead or gone, will Adam even be around? There are so many unknowns where he's concerned.

"Are you asking me out on a date, because I want to make sure I'm understanding your intentions?" I ask, watching him closely. My stare never seems to make him nervous. If anything it only seems to encourage him to start pushing my buttons.

"If you need to put a label on it, you may call it a date. I thought you might like to do something...normal," he says, looking at me with a challenge in his blue eyes.