Chapter 10

Adonis gave her another long peck on the cheek.

"How about we go out to lunch?"

Adelaide stood there confused as to why he was acting so nice.

"Adonis, whats wrong?"she asked. Adonis sighed and held held her arms.

"Listen, I know I've been brash and unfair since we meant. I shouldn't have treated you so badly, I just... wasn't accustomed to the situation yet and feared that I would lose my freedom. Please, if you would let me, I'd like to start over."

Adelaide raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"We can talk about it during lunch, if you'll attend" he continued. He stuck his hand out waiting for her to place her hand in his. Adelaide reluctantly gave her his hand. He tugged on her hand like a child and guided her to his car. It was a silent and slightly awkward. They eventually pulled up to an extravagant restaurant. Adonis gave his car to the valet and named dropped to the hostess so he could get a table without reservation. Adelaide swiftly took a seat at the table, immediately going to look at the menu. When she peeked up from behind the booklet she noticed how nervous Adonis seemed. Odd she figured. The waitress came by to take their orders and give them glasses of water. Right after she left Adelaide stared at Adonis analyzing him.

"What's this switch up all about?" she said crossing her arms. Adonis folded his hands together and furrowed his brows.

"Look, I know this isn't the best arrangement... but we need to at least have a decent relationship with each other. We're married. We'll be married for life, you know mafia marriages are forever and we're still supposed to be raising kids together."

Adelaide scoffed.

"What?"

"I'm not to be your baby maker at home while you're out fucking random bitches and probably getting all types of diseases to bring home to me."

Adonis's eyes widened and he cleared his throat. He wasn't expecting her to bring that up again. Guess he'll just have to lie to her.

"Yeah... It was wrong of me to try to force you into something like that. I promise I won't have any affairs or purposely mistreat you in any kind of way. I didn't actually mean it, I was just being immature and immature about the arrangement."

"Hmph". In all honesty, Adelaide was shocked. Adonis seemed to have found the light. Though she wasn't completely convinced yet, she would try. This would also be a great opportunity for her to get close to him in attempt to get him to discard that stupid takeover he was planning. "Do you really promise?"

"Yes, on my life."

There was a subtle thumping in her head telling her not to trust him. She wanted so badly to listen to it, but she decided to take a leap of faith. She sighed. "Fine, I'll try getting along with you, but you can't keep having drunken escapades. You need to act like an actual adult, something you were supposed to start doing maybe ten years ago."

Adonis cursed her in his mind. This is going to be a long 2-4 months he thought to himself.

"Yes, I know. I need to actually behave."he said staring at her with eyes full of hope and what Adelaide thought was him pleading. Pitiful she thought

Adelaide grimaced. "This isn't to happen right away. I'm going to need some time you know."

"Yes, I know." He paused to cradle her hand in his, "I'll do my best."

She did her best to hide her disgust. They sat in another awkward silence waiting for the waitress to bring them their food. They ate and had small talk. Then Adonis went to drop her off at his home. Before Adelaide shut the car door she went to ask him a question.

"Hey, what happened to that honeymoon you promised?"

"You should probably get packing, we're leaving in two days."

Adelaide smiled then shut the door. She went to turn on her heels to speed walk to the door. She didn't want him to know how excited she was to go to Bali. Once she closed the front door behind her, she went to do her little victory dance and ran up the stairs only to bump into a large man. She got all flustered. Why do I keep bumping into people? she thought to herself.

"You should watch where you're going... Laidey"

She looked up to see it was don Morain. Her heart dropped.

A/N

Thank you for 1k reads! I'm going to try uploading every week, just to keep things consistent. This chapter is short because I'm busy this week and next week, so expect another short chapter next week.