Chapter 20:

THE NEXT THING I really remember was waking up in my bed. I was really startled. Did yesterday really happen? I could feel that my face was all salty and I was still in my clothes from yesterday. What could I do now? I know my parents said it was alright... But my life seemed like it was so over. It took a long time, but I finally built up the courage to get out of bed and go to the bathroom.

I finished up in there and found Mom waiting outside. "Do you want to talk?" She asked.

How could she possibly want to talk after all of that? "Not really. Can you just let me sit in my room today without you guys bothering me?" I asked.

"I don't think that's a great idea Bran... I mean Tiffany. I... What do you want us to call you?" Mom asked with a really worried expression on her face.

"Tiffany." I whispered very quietly.

"Tiffany, I don't want you to be in your room alone today. If you want, I'll help you move your dollhouse into the living room so you can play with it in there."

"You're not just doing this so you guys can get rid of it are you?" I asked.

"No, we made you a promise. I'm just worried about you and don't want to see you alone today, okay?"

"Okay." I said. She and Dad helped me out with the dollhouse and I played with my Barbies for most of the rest of the day. At seven that night Mom came in and said, "Amy wants to talk to you on the phone."

I debated back and forth on what to do, but decided she was my best friend – I had to talk to her. Mom handed me the phone. "Hi," I said.

"Hi." Amy said back. "Tiff I'm so sorry about what happened... I didn't know anything about it... I'm so thoroughly mad at Mom right now... Please don't hate me... Please don't hate my mom either though..."

She went on for a little bit longer before I said, "Amy I don't hate you and I don't hate your mother."

"Are you sure?" She asked nervously.

"Amy, without you and your mother I never would have been able to be Tiffany at all... I'm more scared than anything."

"You don't have anything to be scared about. I guarantee you I'll stick by you all the way no matter what happens, and so will my parents."

"I know Amy." We talked for a while longer before things became a little more relaxed and she told me about the pictures her mom had taken. Apparently they had turned out really good and she couldn't wait for us to do scrapbooks on Tuesday.

She told me her mom was starting her vacation for our trip that day and wanted to help us out. They also had everything we would need for it too, so not to worry about bringing anything more than some photos.

I told her about the appointment tomorrow at that point. "Amy what happens if she decides that I have to be a boy?"

"Look, you can be whoever you want to be. You'll be fine. If all else fails when you come over here you can wear my clothes okay?"

"Okay."

"What happens if she says that I should be Tiffany though?"

"What would be bad about that? Isn't that what you want more than anything?" She asked.

"The other kids..." I started.

"I won't let the other kids mess with you, and neither will any of our friends. Tiff, that means that you have the cool kids all behind you. No one will dare do anything serious against you at that point. And, if they do we'll take care of them." She answered.