Part 9 - Closing Chapter

I don't know who reached who first, but the next thing I remember was Nathaniel lifting me up by the waist and planting the most promising kiss on my lips. I poured everything I had into that kiss and Nathaniel gave just as much as he got. Finally breaking away for a breather he looked me directly in the eyes.

"This is your last chance to walk away!"

I shook my head and smiled.

"I'm not going anywhere. Home is where the heart is, and my heart's always belonged to you."

Nathaniel let loose what seemed to be a breath he'd been holding and pulled me in for a hug.

"I'm never letting you go Shaye. You, Niva and Noah are my world. Without you I'm nothing, and I don't ever want to be nothing again. Walking out on you was the hardest thing I'd done in my life. You don't know how hard it was for me to keep my distance. I've always known you were meant for me. I may not be the perfect guy in the world. I know we're going to have cusses and fights, but at the end of the day my love for you is going to get me through anything that life throws at us. "

The feeling I had at that moment was indescribable. It was like my world was finally right again. Here was the man of my dreams, opening himself to me, laying it all out on the table, and I couldn't have been more in love with him than ever. Looking up at him I smiled through more tears

"You've seen me at my best, but you've also seen me at my worst, and yet here you are willing to love me with my flaws and imperfections. Not only have you opened your heart and let me in, but you also had a bit of room for Niva and Noah as well. You've taken them under your wing and claimed them as your own, and that to me is a man worth fighting for." 

Nathaniel laughed.

"Even with my battle scars?"

"Even with your battle scars my love. "

Out of nowhere the sound of Tevin Campbell's, I'm Ready shot out onto the street. Confused we looked towards our place to find Ria, Noah, and Niva standing there with Ria's car boot opened to her new surround sound speakers. 

"May I have this dance with you for the rest of my life?" 

I accepted his hand as we slow danced in the middle of the street in our own little world. Twirling me about. Nathaniel stopped and looked at the kid's. Noah's eyes filled with worry and insecure. Nathaniel opened his arms out, the kid's running into his arms without hesitation. I wept silently as I watched the 3 of them hug. Nathaniel whispering assurances in Noah's ear. He swept them up into his arms and turned to me, inviting me into the fold. As we held our children we continued to slow dance our family into the promise of a bigger and better tomorrow.