Part 5

At seven sharp there was a knock at our door. Niva immediately got off the couch and ran straight for the front door.

"I’ll geeet it!"

** Opens door **

"Thaniiieellll!"

"Hi beautiful, how’re you?"

"Good. Mummy! Mummy! It’s for you."

I took one last look in the mirror, closed my eyes and sent a prayer of guidance to the Lord than made my way out to a waiting Nathaniel. One look at him and my stomach did somersaults.

"Close your mouth. You’re gonna catch flies soon." Ria whispered out loud for Nathaniel to hear.

With my face going red with embarrassment I quickly maneuvered my way into a smile.

"Hi"

Nathaniel stood there looking me up and down, and from where I was standing. It looked like he approved of my dress code. I’d opted for jeggings, wedges and a loose top with my hair falling loosely around my shoulders. I applied as much minimal make up as I could and finished it off with lip gloss. I suddenly felt like I was in high school again. Nathaniel must’ve noticed I was waiting for him to reply.

"Hi. You look amazing."

I smiled a real smile back

"Thanks. You don’t look so bad yourself"

Ria stood there witnessing our awkward convo when she cleared her throat.

"Okay, so bye??"

I’d just finished kissing my baby’s good night and was getting ready to walk out when Nathaniel stopped, turned around and made a beeline for Niva and Noah. Standing there shocked I watched as he lifted Niva up and planted a kiss on her forehead, then did the same with Noah.

"Goodnight Niva. Goodnight Noah"

"Niiiight Thanniiiell"

I couldn’t move. I felt like my heart was going to burst right out of my chest. No man had ever done that. Nathaniel had shown more emotional attachment to Niva and Noah than their own father. My eyes started to water. This man was after my own heart. After what felt like a millisecond Nathaniel stood up, grabbed me by the hand and we left, but not before catching a glimpse of Ria staring at Nathaniel with tears gleaming in her eyes.

Our date was going perfectly. I couldn’t have asked for anything better. We’d sat and talked about everything and anything. We talked about our childhood memories, our high school drama, even our first loves and losses. Up until then I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed having someone else to share things with. With Nathaniel I found it easy to open up to him about myself. He didn’t judge me. He just sat there and listened, and I did the same while he shared with me his life story. It was amazing how much you learned about someone in the space of a few hours, and in that space you realize it’s like you’ve known him your whole life. After cracking a few jokes we decided to stretch our legs and go for a stroll. Nathaniel held my hand the whole way, and to be honest I’d never felt safer than I did at that moment.

I savoured every moment of it, wished it could go on like this forever. But alas, like all good things, it had to come to an end. Getting home that night Nathaniel walked me up to the front door.

"I really enjoyed tonight Shaye"

"I did too"

"Who knew that something simple could turn into something meaningful?"

I smiled and thanked God for making this night a success. I could hear Ria moving around in the house and knew any minute now she’d be sneaking a peek through the windows.

"Let’s just say that when you spend more time getting to know each other in an open space, everything just flows, and all you have to do is go with the wind."

Wow! I must say that sounded a lot wiser than I meant it to be. Nathaniel looked at me

"Go with the wind huh? I like the sound of that"

And before I could catch what he meant by it he leaned in….