Part 3

I felt as though I had stolen something and had to mentally shake my head and glare at him for making me feel that way. His brow rose up a notch and I could've sworn I saw the corner of his mouth form a small smile before I turned my head to dismiss him. Ria was chuckling beside me

" Wow, he is a looker. No wonder why the girls told me to come to the mall to see for myself."

I looked at her aghast.

"You mean we came just so you could check out the new seki?"

Ria must have known I was ready to walk out to the car and make her catch the bus home.

"No, I mean yeah I wanted to see what he looked like but I did want to buy some new tops and get my brows done."

Feeling somewhat pacified I let it go and chose to eat at the restaurant on the other end of the mall.

Walking off towards the Thai restaurant I felt someone tug at my shirt.

"What Ria?"

They tugged again

"Ria, what is it?!"

I snapped as I came to a halt. Seeing Ria a few metres from me clearly annoyed.

"Do I look like I'm next to you?" folding her arms.

"Aye?"

She motioned to beside me. Looking down I didn't realise this little kid tugging my shirt some more.

"Oh hey lil guy. What's wrong?"

I crouched down so I could see him better.

"Are you lost or?"

The kid simply nodded, tears and snot free falling from his face. I groaned..

"Ria go look for the seki"

"Waah why me???"

"Just g.."

** Phone rings **

"Hello? Yeap, sure ok on my way."

Ria saw the look on my face realising that coming here was a big mistake. I shrugged to say I'm sorry.

"Sorry sis, I really have to go. I'll pay you back cool"

I urged the kid to her side and slapped Ria on the back

"Hey, at least you get to tell your girls you spoke to the seki"

Ria called out to me as I dashed for the exit.

"You know you don't always have to drop everything to get the kids when that deadbeat calls you. You're a guardian not their mother"

I waved her complaints away still walking to the car.

"Let it go Ria. Let it go"

I noticed the seki walking up behind Ria who was now trying to comfort the child. He managed to make eye contact again before I turned away. I'm sure he's dying to ask why I haven't used the card and called him.

I got to my car and shut the door resting my head on the steering wheel. Ria had a way with words that could cause a grown woman to cry. Recalling back to how I was blessed with these kids. My kids are mine who was gifted to me by my best friend who died in a car accident last year. She entrusted me enough with raising her kids and it was a role I had taken on with full gusto and in all seriousness. I turned the ignition on and made my way out of the mall parking lot.

I pulled up to the house spotting the kids sitting on the front steps. 6 year old Noah holding his little sister's tiny hands looking sombre and way too old for his young age.