17 | In Which it's the End of the Story

Seeing where the arrow was pointed, Percy's expression immediately hardened and he instinctively took on the role as protector. He stepped in front of Annabeth in one quick stride, adjusting his group on Riptide and getting into a fighting stance.

"Thanks, Seaweed Brain, but I'm plenty capable of defending myself," Annabeth said, though her voice wavered.

"I'm well aware you are. But I feel a lot more comfortable when you're more safe then I am," Percy said, not taking his eyes off Thalia.

"Percy-"

"No, Annabeth," Percy said, cutting her off, "I love you and I'm not letting anything happen to you! So stay behind me!" Annabeth didn't respond, but he happily saw that she didn't move either, which was a great sign.

"How touching," Thalia said with a mock tone, pouting her lip, "But that won't stop this arrow from piercing through both of you like a knife through butter."

"Hmm, nice simile, but I'm not gonna let that happen," Percy said. He looked at Riptide which he planned to use to deflect Thalia's arrow if she fired.

"Aww, Seaweed Brain! You remember what I simile is," Annabeth smiled. Knowledge was the best way to impress Annabeth Chase. Well, her and every other Athena child.

"I guess it stuck," Percy muttered.

Thalia rolled her eyes. "Look, I said let's play like a minute ago and we still haven't started fighting and killing you so... Imma just do that now," She said. Percy's eyes widened at how sudden it was, but luckily, he had just enough time to deflect it with his sword, causing it to clatter to the ground.

"Whoa, nice Percy," Annabeth said, "Now can I help?"

"N-"

"Why am I even asking you? I'm just going to do it," Annabeth said. She lunged out from behind Percy and was about to jump forward and stab Hazel's body, when Percy grabbed onto her hand, pulling her back.

"Percy!" Annabeth screamed. "What the actual Hades?!"

"Annabeth, maybe we don't have to resort to violence. Maybe... maybe we can negotiate," Percy said.

"You can't be serious! Melinoe is a demon straight from hell! She's not going to negotiate," Annabeth said.

"She's right, Perseus," Thalia and Hazel said in unison, both wearing matching smirks.

Percy groaned. "Look, why are you doing this!? None of these people here deserve to die! You could have just murdered me, you didn't have to kill off the entire freaking camp!"

"Oh you really think no one here deserves to die? Hmm... did Thalia happen to tell you why she couldn't go on the Hunt with Artemis and had to stay behind? The terrible thing she did?" Thalia said smugly.

Percy's face darkened. "How do you know about that?"

Thalia laughed, though it sounded nothing like what she had ever laughed like before. "Judging by the expression on your face she didn't tell you! Wow, sounds like you were great friends," She said sarcastically, "But being in the stupid girl's body allows me to see her memories! And I know exactly how she startled a wild monster, went against Artermis's orders, and caused the death of three Hunters!"

"She did what now?" Annabeth said, raising her eyebrow.

"Yeah, it's a long story. But Thalia's killed people. She's not a good person. The only lives that I've taken are from people that have sinned," Thalia said, "I'm just trying to help dear old dad."

"Melinoe must have taken some of Thalia's personality when she possessed her too... she seems much more sarcastic," Percy grumbled, trying to lighten the mood, even though he was still in shock.

"But it's impossible not to sin! It's human nature!" Annabeth said.

"Yeaaah but humans are gross," Thalia said, "I simply want to take out the entire human race. It's not that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal?!" Percy screamed.

"Did you even get permission from the Olympians to go on some crazy killing spree?" Annabeth asked.

"Of course not!" Hazel said. "They think I'm a freak! It won't matter. But I'll make you a little deal, Perseus. You hand yourself in now, and I won't kill your stupid girlfriend."

Percy's eyes widened in surprise. He looked down at himself, his Harry Potter costume. What would Harry Potter do? No, what would he do. He thought of everything Annabeth had done for him in just the past week. Comforted him, helped him at his lowest, sat in a wet shower with him for absolutely no reason besides the fact she loved him and wanted to help. He knew what he had to do immediately.

And after all, his fatal flaw is loyalty.

"Okay," Percy said, pulling away from Annabeth and stepping in front of Thalia, "Kill me, possess me, whatever. Just don't hurt my Annabeth."

"Percy, no!" Annabeth screamed. She ran forward, but didn't make it far before a bolt of lightning came crashing down through the roof and slammed into her. Annabeth screamed, flying backwards and banging into the wall.

"Annabeth!" Percy yelled. He ran to go help her, but was stopped by Hazel's voice.

"She's fine. It was just a little... taser..." Thalia said with a shrug.

"A little taser?!" Percy screamed, waving his hand at Annabeth. "There's literally smoking! There is smoke coming off of her!"

"She's still alive though," Hazel said, making Percy freeze, "It's either her or you, Perseus."

Percy sighed, looking at Annabeth's gorgeous blonde curls falling in her face. He vividly remembered the feeling of it, her soft, luscious, hair that he would run his hands through as he kissed her soft lips. He remembered the bliss. He remembered the happiness Annabeth had given him. The least he could do was reward her back.

Percy turned back to Hazel and Thalia. "Okay, then. Take me away," Percy said. He took a deep breath, whispering, "I love you, Annabeth." He always knew he wanted that to be his last words.

Hazel and Thalia looked at each other, both smirking, before they reached towards Percy. That was the last thing he saw before the world went red.