Birthday Wishes

The third time was on his birthday. While most of the other wordly residents didn't have a birthday, and those few humans that did rarely celebrated theirs if at all (Sally being one of the few rare exceptions), it didn't mean some still didn't find time to celebrate. Of course, Toby found himself rarely, if ever, doing so; not since Lyra. Not since the accident.

So one could understand the surprise when Brian found the time for his birthday, or even that he knew when it was in the first place.

It was a sunny morning that Toby awoke to find only Tim lying in his and Brian's shared bed in the proxy's room. Toby sat tiredly from his own bed, figuring that Brian was just out on an early mission or something. Dressing lazily, Toby silently made his way out of their shared bedroom -- and was somewhat caught off guard by the sounds of pots and pans clanging together, and various smells coming from the kitchen. Curious, Toby made his way downstairs and to the kitchen, only to find Brian without his usual hoodie as he stomped around the kitchen making -- waffles?

It took a moment for the other proxy to realize Toby stood in the doorway, watching him curiously make the brunette's favorite food.

"Oh, uh, hey," Brian chuckled, turning to Toby to show that his shirt was covered in flour. "Uh, surprise!"

"Surprise?" Toby asked curiously, though grinning as he entered the kitchen. "Surprise for what?"

"Cause it's your birthday, duh ," Brian replied as he returned to the stove.

Toby stopped himself as he was pulling out a chair at the table, eyes widening in shock. Brian had actually remembered his birthday? Toby remembered mentioning once or twice to the other, but.... He actually remembered ? Some part of him melted in joy at the thoughtfulness as he finally plopped down in the chair, a grin forming under his face mask. He was glad he thought to put it on before he came down, otherwise Brian might have called him stupid for the look he had on his face.

Toby had to admit, Brian was always the nicer one between him and Tim. Granted, he also didn't seem to talk as much, but Toby wasn't going to complain. Not to mention, Toby often wished Brian would keep his own mask and hoodie off, if only so he could see his handsome face more often. To see his smile and warm eyes and --

Toby's thoughts were cut off as Brian sat a plate before him filled with waffles. Toby's eyes widened with glee with a similar sound escaping his mouth to match, quickly tearing off his face mask as Brian momentarily left the table and then returned with syrup and a fork.

"Alright, eat up," Brain said softly as he returned to the stove.

Toby didn't need any orders to do so, quickly lathering the waffles in the syrup before chowing down greedily at the plate before him. So engrossed was Toby eating as Brian cooked more -- presumably for himself, or for Toby; it was his birthday, after all -- that he didn't notice Tim meandering in, seemingly half asleep, until the raven haired man had retrieved a cup of coffee and noisily sat across from Toby.

Toby almost choked on the bite of the waffle he was eating, surprised. He had to chug down part of the glass of milk Brian had given to him.

"Don't choke," Tim muttered sarcastically, head resting in one hand as he took another sip of coffee.

"Oh, hush, you," Brian half joked, half ordered as he sat another plate in front of Brian and then another in the empty spot between him and Toby. There was still a large stack of them on a plate on the nearby counter, and the stove was turned off as Brian had apparently finished his cooking. "It's his birthday, remember? So be nice."

Toby couldn't help the half confused look on his face as Tim raised an eyebrow and muttered an apologetic, "Ah, well, happy birthday."

Brian finally sat between Toby and Tim, producing glasses of milk for the two of them as they began to talk among themselves, though occasionally Brian attempted to get Toby to talk in between mouthfuls of waffles and his refill from the plate on the counter (which he took pretty much all of; though if it mattered to Brain or Tim, they said nothing of it). Toby was thankful, if anything. The past few years since the -- incident , even he himself hadn't considered celebrating his birthday in any way. But he supposed sitting here, eating waffles with who he considered to be his closest friends (even though Tim seemed to hate his guts), he was actually quite happy that someone remembered.

The three sat comfortably together in the kitchen, Toby gladly getting seconds and Brain refilling their drinks as they talked amongst themselves; albeit Toby barely spoke between bites of waffles until he was so full he could barely move. It was then he sat back in his chair, hands over his stomach comfortably with his eyes closed. Being in such a vulnerable position made him miss the softened expressions that looked at him momentarily before Brian and Tim returned to their conversation. Toby didn't seem to notice the momentary silence, basking in the thought of how great this birthday was already turning out to question it.

Actions