Chapter Four

*Chapter four* (Isabelle)

Isabelle and her Mother, Anne, moved around a lot.. It wasnt that they had to run away from something, it was just that Isabelle was bullied a lot, and her Mom couldn't keep a stable job. then they moved to Amsterdam and everything changed. Isabelle hated Rob though.. Her mothers boyfriend. He had two other kids from two different families. Which made Isabelle go mad, she had yelled at her Mother for hours while Rob just stood there.

Nobody would compare to Isabelles father, and thats what she feared. She didn't want Rob to come in and make her Mother forget about her Father.

Jake was a solider. He fought many wars in different countries and nearly died several times. But the day that he really did was a day nobody seen coming.

His body was blown to bits. The only thing that led them to realize it was Jake's body, was the picture of Isabelle and Anne that he kept in his pocket.

Isabelle had a bad feeling in her gut that day. She was only 10 at the time, but her Father was supposed to come home for thanksgiving... And he never did.

She would wait at the door for him and hope he'd come home, even though she knew the reality. She was just hoping that if she believed, her dream would come true. But it wouldn't.

Thats when Isabelle first began running. First, it was like an analogy.. A way to run away from everything, and a way to run for her Father, and let him know that she was waiting for the day she got to meet him again. But then it turned into something much, much more. It began a lifestyle, and a way to cope with the things going on around her, and for once, she felt like her mind was at peace.

"It's been two hours.." Isabelle cried, hugging a pillow. That night, a minor storm had gone by.. It left behind items knocked down by the wind, and crushed items from the hail. Isabelle heard it all, and all she was thinking the whole time was that Ansel wasn't there, with her, like he said he would be. Mik's girlfriend was doing the same, cowering alone.

Ansel couldn't see it, or hear it.. But he felt it. He felt the pain shoot through his entire body all at once, a crushing, burning and breaking sensation. It washed over him but he was speechless, too devoured by the pain to scream, or cry, or move away from it. His mind kept thinking that he was going to die the whole time, and then he felt his head smash into the side of the car, and then, he stopped thinking about everything in total.

Mik was screaming, his leg was pinned, his heart was beating and his mind was racing. He was watching Ansel the whole time, almost like it was slow motion, slow movements of the car being hit, and tumbling and crushing. Mik could hear people running to surround them to get them out but they didn't know if they could rely on that. Ecspecially with Ansel.

Isabelle got the call 3 hours later while she was still at Mik's house. She cried for awhile, then tried at her best attempt to stop, so she could go to the hospital. Mik's girlfriend went with her, as they drived slowly. When the reached where Mik and Ansel had the accident, she nearly screaming, A truck was completely smashed on the side of the road, and on the other side, Ansel and Mik's car was crushed. The entire roof was off, the windows were smashed, the side was caved in and the whole car looked like a big pile of nothing but metal.

When they got to the hospital they ran to see their boyfriends, and when Isabelle saw Ansel sitting there, his eyes opened in surprise, and ran to him and put her lips on his. But instead of a kiss, he pushed her back.

"Who the hell are you?!" Ansel screamed, loud enough to call over some nurses.

"Ansel.. It's me.. It's Isabelle.." She said calmly, fighting back tears.

"Your the weird girl from school..?" Ansel paused, looking at her again "Why are you here? Where is Stacy?"

Stacy was Ansel's girlfriend in 11 grade. They had dated for a whole year, but broke up when Stacy was found cheating on him with Tyler.

"I uh.." Isabelle was at a loss for words. She was hurt, and confused. She didn't know what she was supposed to say, or what she should be saying at this very moment.

She fiddled with her hands for awhile, until a nurse had opened the door and startled her from her day dreaming.

"Thank god, please tell me that this is only temporary? This can't be a permanent thing.." She said, her body going slack. She felt as if she could break down any moment now, and all Ansel did was stare at her in a faze of confusion and loss of self.

"We don't think it will be permanent... However the crash was very major and he hit his head quite hard.. We're not sure as to this point when he will be able to recover his memory.." The lady spoke, beneath her breath was a slight accent and Isabelle tried to focus on that instead of the fact that Ansel had no idea who she was.

"What do I?" Isabelle asked, her breath shaky.

Meanwhile, Ansel just listened to the two woman talk. He didn't remember much of this year.. In fact, he still thought he was in grade 11 when in fact, this year was his senior year. He didn't remember Isabelle or the running.. He just remembered Stacy and his basketball dreams that he wouldn't have had later on.

"Nurse, can I please go home?" Ansel said, Isabelle looked at him then, and he could tell she was about to cry.

"Ansel, dear, you can't go home until we put you into a trauma centre okay? We need to check out the damage of your brain. Isabelle as for our conversation, it's best you go home and we'll call you in a week" The nurse answered.

Isabelle slowly wakes over to her forgetting boyfriend and hastily grabbed his hand.

"I love you Ansel. And i know the Ansel I knew is in there, I know you can find him.." And with that, she left the room, carrying her broken heart and an empty spot within her.