Chapter 6

'I believed I was broken

the only one with missing parts

secretly wishing on a star.

Maybe that's how I missed you

secretly wishing on a star too

to mend your broken heart.'

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"Cookies?" She passes the tray toward me as I take the seat from across her.

Mom's been fairly calm and composed since I came home from school. I expected her to cry and go on about how miserable her life is like she always does and this time I expected it to be more vigorous since my random disappearance last night and ignorance of her phone calls later.

But surprisingly she hadn't even pressed on me for details about my adventure last night nor did she act even a tinge bit like she did in the morning before I left for school.

Now I had completed my English essay, read a few chapters of Chemistry, taken a nap, read a book and now was sat in the kitchen along with mom.

All of the above things successfully did an amazing job of keeping all the unnecessary thoughts at a safe distance from my brain.

But now that I was practically sat facing one of the sources of my demented thoughts, I knew it wouldn't be soon that all the temporary peace would be replaced by its usual metallic emptiness in my gut.

I pick out a cookie, wanting for it to devour every anxious cell in my body.

"How come you made cookies today?" I ask her as her eyes lay transfixed on my face as if to unravel a huge secret that I must be hiding under my skin.

She shrugs in response and doesn't elaborate. "So sweetie. Where did you disappear last night?" There.

She asked it so casually. No hesitation. Nothing. Like its quite usual for me to disappear in between their fights late at night.

I take a moment to answer. "Nothing. I just went to a friend's place." I lie smoothly.

Yes. I assured her in the morning that I'd tell her everything but I guess that was just a spur of the moment promise.

Honestly I can't afford to tell her the truth. Because if I told her I went all the way to Castletown in a bus so late and hung out with a stranger and not only gave him the virtue of stealing my first kiss but also my first make-out session if that's even considered.

Oh Lord.

Mom might straight away send me to rehab for drifting away from my path of goody-two shoes. Part of the reason why I never had a boyfriend or my first kiss would be Mom.

She always made sure I was wrapped up in my bubble and never stepped out of the territory unless it was with someone whom she considered as potential for her daughter. So far no guy has had the opportunity to beat her 'potential' agenda.

Sometimes I cant help but feel she doesn't want me to get involved in the first place. She wants me to stay a feet backward from the kind of life teenagers live.

Part of the reason would be her rotten relationship with dad and partly because she always wants me to dwell in her secure shadow which honestly doesn't do a good job of nurturing me.