Heaven Sent

Steph's phone vibrated in her pocket repeatedly, indicating that she was receiving several texts. She laughed as she fished it out of her jeans.

There was only one person who would blow up her phone like that!

Y/N: Mama, are you there?!?

Y/N: Hello???

Y/N: Ugh! Where are you?!?

Y/N: This is SERIOUS, like all hands on deck!!! Sound the alarm!!! I'm not kidding!!!

Steph just decided to call straight away instead of texting. It was obvious that her best friend was having a bit of a melt down.

It rang once...

Y/N picked up immediately and Steph had to pull her phone away from her ear for fear of her eardrums being ruptured!

"OHMYGODWHEREHAVEYOUBEEN?!? HURRYOVERINEEDYOUPLEASE!!!"

Uh-oh...it was worse than she thought. Whenever Y/N spoke in breathless run-on sentences, Steph knew that her friend was on the verge of a panic attack and she had to act quickly.

"Hey, hey, hey...shhhhh. Calm down, chicca. Take some deep breaths and get yourself a glass of water. I'll be there soon, okay?"

Steph could hear Y/N doing a deep inhale and exhale through the phone, then repeat the process.

"That's my girl. Okay, I'm gonna hang up now and I'll see you soon. Bye, bye love."

Steph pocketed her phone, quickly threw on her jacket, grabbed a bottle of wine from the rack and hurried out the door.

Luckily, she lived just a short walk from Y/N's house so within minutes of her best friend's frantic phone call, she had arrived.

Steph walked up the stairs to Y/N's house and raised her hand to knock but before she could, the door was whipped open so fast that she was surprised it didn't come off its hinges.

"Hey chicca, I brought wine! Whoa!!!"

Suddenly Steph found herself being forcefully yanked into the living room and Y/N quickly shut the door behind them.

Steph turned to face her best friend just in time for Y/N to launch herself into her arms effectively knocking the wind out of her!

"Oof!!!"

Steph settled into her best friend's embrace and sighed deeply then kissed her head.

"Well, hello to you too!"

"Sorry, I just missed you so much, mama and I really need to talk to you!!!!"

Steph had been away on business for two weeks and got in very late last night. Sadly, she hadn't been able to talk to Y/N at all while she was away, due to poor cell service in the area.

Which was why she headed over to her house first thing this morning to surprise her but proceeded to have the shock of her life when she found her best friend in the midst of a passionate embrace with a man she had never seen before in her life!!

This morning's surprise was a painful reminder of just how much she'd missed while she was away.

Sometimes she wondered if it was all worth it...

While Y/N viewed her lifestyle as exciting and glamorous, most days, she saw it as mundane and exhausting.

As much as Steph loved her job, the constant traveling was hell and it seemed that as of late, she was away more often than not.

Sure, it was great staying in lavish 5 star resorts wherever she went, but as luxurious as they were, at the end of a long, tiring day, she'd crave the comfort of her own bed back home.