Steak | 2

The waitress comes to our table, notepad in hand.
"What can I get y'all to drink?" She asked. Alfred smiled.
"Sweet tea! And, um, what do you want?" He asked. I looked at him, then at the waitress.
"Just a water is fine." I stated, politely. She nodded a little, smiling at the both of us.
"Y'all ready to order?" She asked. Alfred and I traded glances and he nodded, a smile still on his face.
"Yep! I'll have the steak." He paused, licking his lips. "Rare."
I swear, his voice dropped. I felt a little tense, what just happened? Something didn't feel right. Did she notice it too?
She only smiled and jotted his order down.
"And you, hun?" She asked me. I paused, taking a last glance at the menu.
"Uh, whatever's good." I said. She nodded again, smiling at me and taking our menus.
"Your drinks'll be out here shortly!" She said, almost in a sing-song voice. She seemed in a better mood. I laughed.
"It's like you radiate positivity!" I said, looking at Alfred. He smiled back. I studied him again. He has two gaps in his front teeth, and I've always wondered why. I've never asked because I didn't want to seem rude, but.. I've just got to know.
"Hey, Alf?" I called. He pulled his attention from the surroundings and back to me, smile still on his face.
"Hm?" He hummed. I hesitated, wondering if I should even ask. Things still didn't seem right. I figured what the hell, here we go.
I took a deep breath. "Why, um, why do you have those two gaps in your teeth? I've been wondering for a while." I asked. He tensed up immediately, hesitating to answer me.
"I, uh, I, no reason, uh!" He stuttered, hiding his face. "I just, uh, lost them! And they never grew back! Yeah!" He somehow got louder. He was a little suspicious in how he said that, but I have no reason to not believe him. I nodded, smiling. He sighed in relief. An awkward silence followed.
"Um, you said you had a brother earlier? I've never heard of him before, who is he?" I asked. He perked up again, smiling as if the conversation we just had never happened.
"His name is Arthur! He is a bit of a recluse, you won't see him around often.. He isn't as well known as me. Which is good, because I'm the hero!" He exclaimed, earning us a few looks.
Our plates were suddenly placed in front of us. I was too busy watching Alfred to notice that mine was, coincidentally, my favorite food. He wiped his mouth and thanked the waitress, cut a piece of the steak, and sank his teeth into it, blood running down his chin, licking it all up.. I'm suddenly not hungry.