Chapter 3

Apparently the school was going to close for the day anyway because the snow hasn't stopped falling and it's getting deeper and deeper on the ground. So I was let home earlier than anyone else. So Sykes drove me home. It was an awkward drive, full of nothing but silence. I stared out of the window, my warm breath fogging up the glass, making the view blurry to see. I noticed that the car was finally parked in his driveway, so I opened the door, undid my seatbelt and got out as quickly as I could. I just wanted to get away from him as soon as possible.

"Lauren, you've dropped something..wait, Lauren..y-you're getting kicked out of your house?!" I heard Sykes' voice.

Shit. I must have dropped the letter from my landlord out of my bag. It's telling me that kick me out of my house into the streets at the end of this week because I haven't had enough money to pay any rent for 6 whole months. It sucks.

I turned to face him and he gave me a look of hurt and sadness, why?

"Life is hard and difficult for me. I've been unable to pay rent. So yeah, I'm getting kicked out on Friday. Living on the streets for Christmas. How fun." I sighed.

"Get money from your parents?"

Ouch.

He has no idea whatsoever.

"I can't." I said, barely a whisper as tears began to fill my eyes, making my vision blurred.

"Why not? Where are your parents actually? I've never met them.."

I blinked out a few tears before a loud sob escaped my lips.

"They're dead! They've been dead for years."

He gasped and rushed to me, embracing me in a tight hug, as he gently stroked the back of my head as I leaned it against his chest, listening to his heartbeat to calm myself down.

"I'm sorry I asked.." he whispered, guilt evident in his tone of voice used.

"It's not your fault. You didn't know about it. But now you do.."

Everything was silent for a moment as snow continued falling from the sky, then I pulled away from him.

"Stay with me. Move into my house! I know we don't get along well but we can sort things out, become friends and live together. Please?" he said, a small smile twitching on his lips.

"I don't want to be a bother, you just broke up with your girlfriend as well though.."

His eyebrows knitted To a V shape, "how do you know about that?"

Oops. He doesn't know that I know.

"er um...I heard you on the phone earlier" I stuttered.

"Oh"

"Okay, I'll live with you.." I murmured, continuing our conversation before I brought up the girlfriend situation to him..

"Great! Let's go get your bags packed now?!"

"Okay"

For once, I think we will become friends.