This is Why We Have Rules

Ooookay

I am not fully satisfied with this chapter, but I've been staring at it for about a week now and I've decided to just come back and change it later if I need to.

Enies Lobby was a buzz of activity. It was obvious even at this distance.

Onyx saw the sea train pull away from the platform as the Dodger bobbed toward the 'Never-Night Island'.

Through the small scope of her spyglass, she watched a crowd disappear through the main gate and up the dusty path toward the Courtyard.

Her eyes narrowed as she made out the familiar outlines of two Galley-La foremen and a certain secretary and bartender.

But it was the two figures being herded along in the center of this group that made her frown.

"So Nico Robin's luck finally ran out..." she muttered.

But what was she doing in Water 7?...And why is Franky there?

Onyx lowered her spyglass and paused in thought.

Her gut was telling her not to be obvious in her return.

CP-9's entrance was a perfect distraction. She would sneak ashore immediately.

Onyx nudged the Flying Dodger toward the large iron fence that barricaded the entire island, making sure to keep out of the line of sight of the watchtower set up to guard the sea train tracks. Then she secured her beloved boat to one of the rungs and hopped out. Her boots splashed into the salty water, slipping a bit on the muddy ground underneath, and the current immediately began tugging at her legs, trying to pull her into the hungry maw of emptiness that gaped beyond the fence.

Onyx had taken one step when she heard the telltale "purupurupuru" call out from the cabin.

With a tired sigh, she hauled herself back aboard and snatched the bronze snail from the table before hurrying out again.

"Hello?" she snapped as she picked up the receiver.

"It's Davon."

Her eyebrow quirked and she leapt over the rail once again, landing with a lively splash. She hadn't heard from this contact in a little over three years.

There was only one reason he would be calling her though...

"You saw something?"

"Someone's been on Kelpie's Shoal."

Onyx's eyes narrowed and she jerked to a halt, resting her shoulder against the Dodger's hull.

"Are you sure?"

"One of ma boys spotted two people there yesterday. They weren't lookin' round or anythin'. Probably shipwrecked. And they were gone by mornin'. But ya said to let ya know if we ever saw anyone there."

Onyx let out her breath and nodded to no one.

"Alright, thanks. I was thinking of stopping by soon anyway."

"Oi! Don't go stickin' yer nose around ma place!" came the snappy reply, "People'll start talkin' again and I don't want none of that! We only just started gettin' the old customers back. We don't need the past brought up again."

Onyx frowned and started wading toward the prow.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't worry, my lips are still sealed. And they'll stay that way as long as you keep an eye on Kelpie's Shoal for me."

"Mm."

*click*

Onyx sighed at the sleeping snail before stuffing it into her pocket.