Hospital

Katie sat on the edge of the bed, staring at her mother. How was this her mother? The tubes and contraptions were covering her face almost entirely. Claude sat on the other side of the room, staring at her mother as well. She looked at him and smiled a little, tiny smile. Claude grinned back, a sort of half-hearted, well-she-is-still-alive smile. Katie looked away and studied the intricate webbing on the floor. Before she knew it, her mother was coughing awake weakly. A doctor came in, and Katie's mother waved him away. "I want to talk to Claude. Alone," she stated weakly but matter-of-factly.

Katie walked to the other side of the room, as she couldn't bear to be in a different room than her suffering mother. She studied the webbed floor some more and wished she could hear what her mother was saying. She was dying of curiosity.

When Claude called Katie back, Claude held a small envelope. Katie looked at him questioningly, but he shook his head. She looked down at her mother. She looked at Katie lovingly, and said, "I will love you forever."

After she said this, her mother burst out coughing. The doctor came back in from no where, and busily worked the machine Katie's mother was hooked up to. Before she knew it, the doctor shook her head sadly, and said, "She's gone. Go to the front desk for funeral advice and a list of good, cheap funeral homes."